SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nadinev_gw

Passive Agressive Stepdaughter. What do I do?

NadineV
11 years ago

Hi Everyone, this is my first post here in this forum. I need advice. I married my husband a year and a half ago and we have a 1 year old. He has 2 daughters from a previous marriage, 19 and 18. When I came to live with my husband, the 18(then 16) year old was living with him. She wasn't happy about me coming there but it wasn't until later when the problems started. I got pregnant really quick after we moved in and we got married. His daughter was still acting civil to me.

However. Shortly after that I was put into a situation where I felt the responsibility to tell her dad about inappropriate behavior between her and a much older man and since then our relationship has degraded.

I, along with other concerned parties told her dad and he cut contact between the two as much as he could possibly manage and restricted her phone use. He did what he felt was right and acted like a father instead of a friend like how he had been acting before.

Basically without going into too much detail, the relationship between his daughter and him and me degraded to the point of her moving out of our house to her mother's with her sister, not before making it as uncomfortable as possible.

Now here is my problem. Every time I see his Daughter, be it she comes over here or we go see them, I feel like I am being talked down to and bullied. 1 example being her asking me if I ever considered donating blood and me saying no. Instead of asking why, (I have a chronic illness) She launched into a guilt trip and told me she looks down on people who don't donate blood. 1 more example. I sat down in "her" seat at their grandma's house. I usually sit in that seat when we visit by ourselves. She said everything but directly asking me to move. I asked her directly if she wanted me to move and she got angry. Last example which has happened several times is her correcting my grammar and word choice when I am not even talking to her sometimes. Even when she isn't right. It feels like she's just doing it to get on my nerves because god forbid anyone correct her. I can type all night giving more specifics, but lets just say, I am starting to strongly dread seeing this person and I don't know how to confront the behavior or if I should, but I do know ignoring it does absolutely nothing except make it worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all.

Comments (5)