SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

Awkward Thanksgiving

imamommy
12 years ago

This is a little off topic... sort of.

This year, my dad has been spending some time with a female "friend". She's a very nice & pretty lady that I like a lot. Dad says she's just a friend but there may be more to it because he is spending more & more time with her. I think it's GREAT. Dad said he wouldn't ever marry again after SM died & has not even seemed interested in dating, totally opposite from my uncle after his wife died. Seeing my uncle get married about a year after his wife died... and seeing him so happy kinda made me hope my dad could find someone to make him feel like that.

Anyway, our holiday plans have become awkward because my dad had invited her over to Thanksgiving dinner. I've posted many times how my mom comes to parties at my dad's house, even though they've been divorced 25+ years. When my SM was in a vegetative coma, dad was her caretaker & couldn't leave so I planned all the holidays at his house so we'd all come to him. It became a tradition. My mom was welcome as long as she behaved herself. Well, mom had a heart attack last year & had heart bypass surgery. She is diabetic & not healing well. Then they had to put in a pacemaker a few months ago. Then they found a polyp that had cancer... now they think the cancer has spread to her liver & she is to begin chemo at the beginning of December. We are very concerned that this may be her last holidays with us & I am feverishly trying to corral our family to spend Thanksgiving with her. So, the kind person my dad's lady friend is... she bowed out & said she will not come because it may be uncomfortable (for her & for us). I feel bad about that because her kids are gone & now she will be alone.

Well, as I said.. I am TRYING to get everyone together. It really shouldn't be this much work but both my sisters said they will be there, however their kids are going off in different directions. My brother is going to his wife's parents and says he will stop by later after they eat. His wife is a question mark. His son lives out of state & his daughter just went through a divorce & has to give custody of their kids to the dad at 4pm. Well, dinner is scheduled for 1pm but she made an excuse that the kids were not coming because they go to dad's but she will try... she has a new boyfriend & may go to his family's house. So, I guess I made her feel guilty saying it's too bad the kids can't come because with my mom being sick & starting Chemo soon, I don't know if she will be here for Christmas. Well, my niece called my brother & my brother called my sister (the one driving my mom up here) to arrange for my sister to drop my mom off at my niece's house to visit with her kids before my brother brings mom up here for dinner. He says he will bring mom here around 2. Well, my other sister is going to be here at 1, my nephew & his girlfriend will be here at 1, I sent out invites telling them it's at 1pm over six weeks ago & nobody RSVP'd. My brother is a cop so I know his work hours interfere with holiday plans so I try to work around that. His wife works for the same agency & I try to accommodate them so they can be at family events... everyone else is rather flexible.

The niece that started all of this likely won't even show up tomorrow. She hasn't been to a family gathering since last Christmas & only stayed long enough to pick up her gifts & leave. She will probably go to the new boyfriend's parents & because SHE may have felt bad that my mom was going to miss her kids at the dinner, everyone else has to deal with the change of plans. I'm kinda getting pissed. First because my dad's friend felt awkward so she canceled so my mom could enjoy her family. Then, because I was looking forward to a nice family dinner with my mom.. no drama, etc. My sister that doesn't get along with anyone has been getting along with everyone. I just wanted a nice day & now I feel like my mom was hijacked, dinner time was changed (which irritates me since I'm doing all the cooking & try to time things so it's done on schedule) and even though they said 2pm, I know my family & they may show up early or late... one year I had all the food on the table at the scheduled time that I had confirmed with everyone & nobody was there but me & dad. We have thought about canceling the holidays since we do all the work have all the expense & get absolutely no respect... but I wanted to do this for my parents... especially my mom, in case it's her last holidays.

I'm venting here because I want to get it out of my system before anyone shows tomorrow. I would love to tell my brother how I really feel but I know it would only cause a big drama & my mom doesn't need her kids fighting. UGH!!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH