SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leah111_gw

Is it wrong to be a Priority with a Partner who has a 3 yr old

Leah111
11 years ago

This is a hard decision for me. I am dating a great guy with a 3 yr old. He has 60% custody with an odd parenting arrangement. He has her one full week Mon-Sund Morning and then Mon and Wed of the following week and his daughter is dropped off at 9 or 10 am on Saturday and picked up again Sunday morning at 10 or 11am. My children are 13 and 17 yrs old and I was a single mom for 4 years and we decided that my ex would be the sole parent for the next 4 years. It works for us. I spend time with my daughters very other weekend. SO, I have alot of time for myself, which has been new to me. I met this great guy 8 months ago. I am trying to be patient, but we only had one weekend together in those 8 months. We have never had a sleep over where I am not rushing out of his house or he mine because of his daughter being dropped off on Saturdays and picked up on Sundays (every weekend) we live close so I see him 3 or 4 times a week. On the Saturdays, that I dont have my girls, I spend time with him and his daughter (upon his request). I spend time with him on Sundays. I have spoke with him about how important it is to me to be able to go to dinner parties thrown by my friends with him as my date. All of these dinner parties are on Saturdays, but he does not want anyone to watch his daughter, so I go alone. I have asked him if he could change his arrangement to at least offer me 1 weekend a month so that we can sleep in together and bond...basically be a couple. I need it for bonding time. Our other time other than 2 Sundays a month are scarce because of his child custody. He refuses, and told me his daughter is #1 priority. I told him that until I can be AS a priority to him as his daughter is, I will have to make myself a priority...meaning, I will not be available for him and his daughter. I will use the time to spend time with my daughters and friends. Is this wrong? I want to be a priority to my partner. I was married for 20 years and my ex was addicted to gambling, so I was not a priority to him over his addiction and I remained to keep my family together until I found out he cheated. I need some advice.

Comments (4)