SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
superbuggin

Cellphone and kids??

superbuggin
10 years ago

My SS is asking for a cellphone, he is 10 years old. He has an iPod that he loses constantly, he is home with me or at grandmas. That's it. He is starting to become friends with a neighborhood kid who is a year older (no cellphone). And they have only played at my house so far. I feel he should not have one till he is 13, after school activities, shows he is mor responsible, but his dad is starting to crumble a lil, because SS keeps asking, because other kids his age have one. I told him I'm very firm that if he gets him a cellphone my boundaries are: my number will not be in the phone(I'm not getting calls while he is up in his room, and I'm with him most of the time) I will not look for it so do not even ask me to help. The phone will not be allowed in his room.
So far because of my boundaries he has not bought a cellphone for him, but am I being to closed minded about this? At my SS bday party 4 of the kids had cellphones to call their parents when it was over. I guess just not getting why he needs it... His iPod does everything but call someone and there are apps that almost make that possible!!! He is not a responsible 10 year old. He is in elementary school. He can't bring the phone to school so after school who is he calling grandma?! Lol
Anyway what is a good age? Should there be a compromise? Should I just not care if he buys him one like next year? Just looking for some insight thank you

Comments (24)