SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley1979_gw

This bothers me, but I don't know how to deal with it

ashley1979
13 years ago

SD is 1/2 hispanic and 1/2 caucassion. She grew up in our town where there is a large caucassion population, but also fairly diverse. SD has dark blonde hair and green eyes. BM has light skin and green eyes and colors her hair blonde. SD never even knew she was 1/2 hispanic until a couple years ago.

Now she lives in a place where the majority of the population is hispanic and being caucassion is the minority. SD and BM have embraced their hispanic heritage.

SD's friends make fun of her because she's 1/2 white. They nicknamed her "Mexican Vanilla." SD thinks it's funny. She now has it as her signature on her text messages. Every time I see that it makes me so angry.

First of all, she's not "Mexican." She's hispanic. Second, I am white and I am offended by being called "vanilla."

DH just shrugs it off, but I feel like someone needs to tell her it's insensitive. How will she ever know unless someone tells her? I can't really say anything. DH has more "rights" to say something, but it may not go over very well.

Let's put it this way, if I were to say something offensive against the hispanics, there would be outrage all over the place. So I'm just supposed to tolerate her being offensive to white people?

Oh, BTW, SF is white so sister is a "Mexican Vanilla", too.

Comments (30)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!