SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amber3902

Why do I care? BF's child support situation

Amber3902
12 years ago

Just trying to figure out my feelings here.

My boyfriend's son recently came to live with him. BM has agreed to let the son stay with my BF for the school year. She's going to school right now and agreed it would better that the son stay with my BF. Right now the court order has BM with primary custody, and BF paying her child support. However, since BF's son came to live with him he has not paid child support. BM so far has been okay with this agreement, however, I am concerned that several months might pass and then one day BM gets pissed at BF and takes him back to court and sues him for all the months of child support that he hasn't paid. I told him he needed to meet with an attorney first, before he had his son move in with him, to find out what he needs to do to protect himself against this happening.

But he was like, no, I have to get him away from her RIGHT NOW and my son is better off with me. Not that I don't disagree with him in that regard. But it was not an emergency situation, BM was not abusing the son or anything like that, it was more a case of neglect, a couple of times she's left him home alone, she yells and screams at him ... bad stuff but nothing that you could take to court and get custody changed for.

Anyway, BF has had his son with him for over a month now, and he has been saying he doesn't have any money to consult with an attorney, so when I got some extra money I gave him $50 to talk to an attorney and get some legal advice.

So he met with an attorney this last Wednesday. She basically told him what I had been telling him, that unless he gets a new court order submitted, there is nothing to protect him from BM suing him for back child support and him having to pay back all the months of child support he hasn't paid.

She said he could get something written up that both of them sign and notarized and MAYBE a judge might consider it, but the ONLY way to guarantee that BM can't sue him for back child support is to have a new court order submitted in court. She said it would cost $750 to do this. Of course, BF doesn't have the money to do this.

I'm worried that a few months down the road BM will turn on BF and sue him for all the child support he hasn't paid. My girlfriend said I need to stop worrying about it, I'll do all this worrying and nothing may ever happen.

And I don't know why I'm letting this get to me. I guess I'm annoyed that my BF made a very poor decision in moving his son in before consulting with an attorney first. I understand the desire to want to have your child, I just feel he went about this all wrong. He should have talked to an attorney first before moving his son in.

You know what else annoys me? The other day he was helping his son with his homework and he wasn't doing his subtraction right. He told me now he sees why BM was yelling at the son about his homework. And that was the main reason why he wanted to get his son away from her! AUGH!

Comments (17)