SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

OT--what are you doing in regards to the swine flu vaccine?

lovehadley
14 years ago

I have no idea if I will get it or not. Isn't the CDC recommending that people under 25 and over 62 get it? In that case, I am 29, so doubt I will get it.

I am REALLY CONCERNED about DD and whether to get it for her or not. She is 7.

I talked w/her pediatrician about it last month. I really trust him and have no problem following his advice. The problem is, he was kind of on the fence about it--he said that it is unfortunate it is such a new vaccine. He said one hates to have one's child in the guinea pig group.

BUT he then proceeded to say that kids aged 6-12 are having the most complications and even deaths from the swine flu. He said, given that factor, he would probably lean towards getting it.

Her school is going to offer it at the end of the month. I guess we will get it for her, but it scares me.

DH and BM are having discussions. BM already got SS the regular flu shot. NOW--and I recognize this is a personal choice--but I have not gotten DD the regualr flu shot since she was 2 and under. Her ped. doesn't recommend it, unless the child has resp. issues or a compromised immune system. He says for healthy kids over age 2, it is actually better for them to risk getting the flu and build up some immunity.

I will say---right or wrong---that's what we have done. She has had influenza ONE TIME. That one time was when she was 18 months old and HAD gotten the flu shot!

She hasn't had it since, knock wood. BUT SS gets the vaccine every year and he has never gotten the flu.

ANYWAY--BM is getting him the swine flu vaccine via his school, also at the end of the month. DH is not thrilled and wants to research it more, but BM says she is getting it for him no matter what.

So---those of you with younger kids--what are your thoughts?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor