SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missbunbun

Too quiet step-father makes my children feel disliked

MissBunBun
21 years ago

I have been married to my husband for 4 years. I have 2 children (now aged 15 and 13)who live with us. He has 3 children who live with their mother in the same town (2 in college now and one is 12). He considers his children perfect (they are "A" students, musical and athletic). My children and I consider his children errogant, rude and back-biting. he does not see these qualities. But, we sure do. My children are good but average children. Rarely do they talk-back or act rude. My problem comes from the fact that my husband is too quiet. He rarely talks to my kids. The dinner table is silent, except my children and I talk. He does not say "hello" or "goodbye". He ignores them totally. He is naturely a quiet guy, friend have trouble talking to him too. He has always treated me like gold, but I'm starting to see that he has always tried to possess me. He wants me all to himself. He's tried to separate me from my kids for the past 4 years. He chooses activities in which the children are not able to come with us. He wants me to watch TV with him at night, but the kids do not feel comfortable watching with us because he makes them feel unwelcome. He hides cookies and food from them. He often walks in the room they are in and makes a heavy discussed sigh and leaves. I asked him how he has helped my kids in the past 4 years. He said he avoids them so he does not get irritated with them. I asked, "Why are they rude to you, are they bad kids?" He said "No, they are good kids, they are just loud and that irritates me." My 13 year old son just moved in with his Dad (2 hours away). I can't help but blame my husband and his rude children. My daughter is talking about how much she dislikes him, because she feels like he is trying to separate us. I have talked to him and I have started spending every night with my daughter. I feel no connection to him any more. I feel he has made life difficult for my kids. Since this all started he still does not talk to the kids. He had to call me at work to tell me that "I asked Paige how her first day of school was". He has not said a word to her before that or since. He is socially an idiot. He does not know what to say. I have tried to help him. But, his disablily is becoming mine. I just want to hibernate with my kids and tell them how sorry I am for marrying him.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals