SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

Stress

imamommy
12 years ago

I walked into my first stress management class last week. My therapist suggested I take it after her first session with me & signed me up. My first thought was that she's crazy, I don't need stress management, I just need advice on how to disengage COMPLETELY from SD & not let her presence (attitude/the tension when we are around each other) bother me. Of course, I thought if she would just go live with her mom, MY life would be peaceful again.

So I went to the class. I sat in a room full of strangers describing the things that stress people out.

Work... yeah, at least people that are stressed out over work have a job, right? Of course, I work 7 days a week, 10 hours a day plus some nights. It IS stressful but not a lot I can do about it. I am self employed & need to be there. Can't afford to hire more people...

Finances... well yeah, money is tight EVERYWHERE. My customers aren't spending much & trying to get more for less money all the time. At least once a day, I am asked if someone can have a discount or a deal... just because they want a nicer wedding on a shoestring budget. When my customers are so cash strapped, obviously my revenue goes down too... people are cutting back. But living expenses are the same & there is some resentment that stresses me out because BM does not support her daughter & we both work our fingers to the bone to provide for her ungratefulness... and she's getting more expensive as she gets older.

Family ~ Yep... ding ding ding. I knew this one was a big one for me. I hadn't thought of the last two issues as being very stressful to me but this one... first, we have SD & I what can I say that everyone hasn't heard (at least) ten times before? Then dealing with BM & Grandma. And the OTHER Grandma (MIL) and a husband that doesn't like confrontation unless it's with my adult kids... because THEY should be contributing more financially if they are still going to live at home. (I agree with him on that, BUT I also think he should be equally aggressive in going after BM for the money she owes.... and lately, he has) Then add in my adult son moving back home a couple of months ago because his roommate got involved with gang activity & brought it around him, so he moved back with us. And as much as I love DGS2, my whole life has been rearranged to be his "parent". I'm disappointed in both of his parents... his mom hardly sees him & his dad (my son) does not call often. They both have a lot of growing up to do. This month, it will be a year that I have been his legal guardian. I wonder if either one of them will ever pull it together to take over "parenting" so I can just be "grandma". The uncertainty of that situation is somewhat stressful too.

Health Problems ~ Hadn't given it much thought but I'm anemic, which makes me tire easily. I've got a thyroid disorder, which also causes fatigue. The long hours at work doesn't help the fatigue. I'm back drinking coffee to get going in the morning. And the reason I went to the doctor in the first place... that landed me in counseling... heartburn. Only, it isn't really heartburn. It was a debilitating pain in my gut that lasted for almost two weeks. Everyday, I would start to eat & the pain came on... I couldn't eat & nothing helped the pain. My therapist said it is from STRESS. It started the week before SD was to come back from Summer at her mom's.

So, I am trying to figure out how to manage the stress in my life. I did sign up for the full 8 week course but it doesn't start until October. DH & I are supposed to take a trip next weekend to a National Park. We'll be gone 3 days but even that has me stressed out because we are leaving my daughter in charge of the business by herself for the first time... and everyone getting married has decided that 9/10/11 is the date to marry this year... which makes it one of our busiest weekends. Any ideas? or Valium?

Comments (7)

• justmetoo
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

--"DH & I are supposed to take a trip next weekend to a National Park. We'll be gone 3 days but even that has me stressed out because we are leaving my daughter in charge of the business by herself for the first time"--

You go, pretend nothing else matters right then right there and you shut down the homefront. Sure, DD may have a few tough moments, have to think fast on her feet...but you KNOW she can do this. She knows how important this business is to her mother, how much very one in her family depends on the family business...she is not going to let you down. You've taught her, she knows what to do and she will do fine. Sure, she may not do everything exactly the way you might do it if you were going to be there, but once you made the decisions to go and let her do this, let her do it. Leave it behind. You know deep down she can or you would not have entrusted your business to her.

One of the hardest things for myself to do is 'shut it down' and let other people help me. Actually I think I can be a bit of a perfectionist and I tend to do it all myself because I was long ago taught 'if it's worth doing it's worth doing right'...I have a problem at times letting others do what I deem in my head as my responsibility or must be a certain way. KWIM?

I've had to learn to let things 'roll off'. The world does not come to an end if I let someone make their own mistakes, not be too quick to jump in and 'fix-it' for them ect. As I've said many times here, I dig in the dirt. Seriously, I have found ways to release the tension and let loose of what I know deep down I don't have to actually be accountable for... or maybe I should say the only one who can and should be accountable for. If one of my kids screw up, I've had to realize that they will pick themselves up, dust themselves off and move on (and hopefully learn from it). I can't spare them from everything that might occur in their life and I can't sit and worry myself to pieces that they are being 'stupid' and making mistakes.

If your Dh has a problem with your adult children being around and not livingup to household expectations, work on that part. Put the little darlings to use. You don't have to do it all. If they live there they can help out with the household needs. My son (25) still lives at home (waiting for GF to finish school) and he is expected to be a part of this household for as long as he is here. Yes, he pays $100 a month rent. If I need somebody to run DD to school for me, yep, he can get up a bit earlier than normal and take her. If he's in town working he can pick up something for me and/or run an errand for me either before or after work. Was he thrilled to pieces at first of this? No. But he adjusted fast when told he could find somewhere else to live for $100 a month. He does not have to live here. He's welcome to, but if he does he has to act a part of the family.

There is not much you can do about the lack of parenting your SD's BM does. There is also not much you can do about how she 'mothers' in her own home. If and when she disappoints your SD, there really is little you can do (or that DH can do)...there is no magic wand to wave to shake sense into the BM. No magic words that can be told to her to make her wake up and realize the damage she inflicts upon the child. Accepting that is one of the biggest hurdles there may be. What you can do though is 'let it roll'. Yes, BM is nasty to you/DH. You can't fix that. Yes, BM is a deadbeat. You can't fix that. In other words, all you can 'fix' is how you/Dh reacts to it. How you/DH lets it affect you/him plays a major role in how much stress/tension you allow into your daily life.

I think the 'I will sit in my room and hide from Ima' needs to stop and stop instantly. It's something your Dh never should have allowed in the first place. The kid has to live there and as long as she does live there she needs to be expected to act like part of the family. No, she does not have to 'like' you, but she must be expected to respect you. You don't have to provide her the things her father can not afford this week or next (but you do)and she needs to be flat out told the extras will stop being provided if she continues to bit the hand that provides them. No, she may never appreciate what you do for her, but she can learn to respect you for it. You owe the kid nothing, she needs to learn that if she wants respect from you she must give respect in return.

Take out a big poster board and tape it to the back of the pantry door (or whatever works in your home) and write in sharpie the 'rules'. Be wordy. if she wants to play 'victim' be sure the rules actually say 'SD may go outside', 'SD may watch tv in whatever room she pleases'. Cut off the 'victim' route. There will be no question about 'I thought I had to stay in my room' if the rules actually say 'you do not have to stay in your room'.

I'd give her a chore list also. Not you, her father. Discuss with him what she can do beforehand to help out in the home as a family member. Then have Dh make the 'chore list' on the posterboard. Whatever seems fair and reasonable. Wash dishes? Clear table? Fold laundry? Run carpet sweeper on this or that days?

The 'rules' and the 'chores' are not a form of punsihment, they are the expectaions of living as a family in a household. Nobody is punishing her, simply expecting her to do things that everyone else in the household is expected to participate in. Maybe the list will include simple even fun things (even simple yet fun things can be helpful in the longrun). Perhaps she can be expected to 'play' with GS while you get dinner. Help GS pick up his toys? You might try giving her something that will allow her to feel 'important' and involved in being like a big sister to him. The more she feels she is needed and included in the daily stuff the more she might surprise you by SD beginning to act like she belongs and is wanted in the household (yes, I know she's wanted or DH/you would not put up with the way things have been, but maybe she needs to begin to 'feel' it for herself that she is). You/Dh can't help what her BM does, the way things are in BM's home, the shipping off to others on BM's weekends...but maybe she can begin to see that Dh/you have no control on what BM is all about all you both can do is see that she is provided with a home and familylife in your home.

Let her make stupid faces. Remember back in grade school the old saying 'sticks and stones may break my bones' , well stupid immature faces can't 'hurt' you either. Let her 'see' how silly and useless it is, make one back at her. That's right, once in a while give her right back the same silly immature face...and follow up with something like 'hmmmm, that didn't seem to work for you OR me either'. Release the tension right then right there.

IDK, just a few things to consider. Perhaps none of it will work and/or make any difference, but it might be worth a try.

• vala55
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My Mom gave me some very good advice when I was upset over my cold, moody husband. He was all I thought about every waking minute. Mom told me I was dwelling on his bad points and I was. She said think about his good qualities and he had a lot. It really helped me and I eventually applied it to every stressful situation.

I know your husband is not the problem, but redirecting your thoughts from any negative thinking will work.