SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

Schools

mom2emall
14 years ago

I was a little suprised to hear what my sd's class discussed in school today. They have "specials" in middle school which include a quarter of woodshop, a quarter of computers, a quarter of character education, and a quarter of something else.

Anyways this quarter my sd has character education. She was saying how her teacher was talking to them today about divorce and was asking how many kids live with just one of their parents. And they were talking about child abuse. My sd came home and began crying as she was talking about it. She said she was fighting tears during class when it was discussed so she did not really talk.

Is it me or is this a little much? I would think before they broach such emotional topics they would get parent consent?? I feel like if we wanted her to be in counseling we would have her seeing a counselor privately....not in front of her whole class.

I also saw an assignment in her notebook the other day that was called "things I only would tell my best friend". They had to make a list of secrets they would only tell their best friend.

Anyone else hear of this before?

Comments (15)