SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

Mixed Feelings

mom2emall
14 years ago

So this is a stepfamily topic....just not involving me directly. Its about my sister.

She recently had a baby and the biofather was not there for her entire pregnancy. He kept saying he did not want to be a dad yet. Meanwhile she started dating a friend of hers and now they are engaged. He was the one going with my sister to all her dr's appts. He was the one who helped set up the nursery. He was the one who did the baby book stuff and was there for the birth. He signed his name on the birth certificate. He really stepped into the father role and I think that is great.

Now the biodad says he wants to be dad. He wants to have a part in his childs life (the baby is only a week old). My sister is atimate about her fiance being daddy.

I told her that the child can have 2 daddys and that she should not deny the biodad the chance to be a father because someday her child may hate her for that. She says that it will hurt her fiance's feelings because he is the one who was there the whole pregnancy. I told her that she was not with the biodad when she got pregnant (more of a fling). So anyways she couldn't expect much during her pregnancy, but now that the baby is here it is different. He can be a father to his child without being with her.

She is pretty much saying that the biodad can be a part of the child's life but that her fiancee is daddy. I am so mixed here. I understand her resentment when the guy was saying he did not want to be a dad. But I also feel that now that the child is here if he is willing to step up she should give him the chance to.

What do you all think???

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz