SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crazydyz8

Am I overacting?

crazydyz8
13 years ago

SS8 is starting third grade. Back in second grade we encouraged SS to do extra book reports. DH wanted SS to realize that we are concerned about his education as well and that we are trying to be involved. It didn't take long to realize that SS HATES reading and doing reports (hates would be an understatement). His school year ends in May. At the beginning of May his teacher emailed us and stated that he was behind by 5 book reports and could we please try to help catch him up in the limited time we had him for the remainder of the school year. We did some and the teacher decided to waive the ones he was missing. She did warn us that in 3rd grade he was going to have to read 400 pages a quarter and that the types of books eligible was going to be a drastic change (chapter books only with very limited illustrations). We have previously tried Goosebumps, Magic Tree House, and A to Z mysteries for SS. This year DH came back from Meet the Teacher with the Scholastic Book Order Forms. I decided to pick up extra hours at work for extra money so that I could buy some new and different books for SS.

On Thursday his teacher emailed us that the books were in and she would send them home with SS that night. DH sent BM a text message on Friday at 4:30pm (prior to the 7pm pick up) a reminder to bring the books. She replied that she was only giving them to us if we brought them back when we dropped him off. DH replied that no we were keeping them as we ordered the books (and a Wii game). BM replied and threw a fit stating that she needed those books for his book reports and that if we were keeping them then we need to make sure he does his book reports because he has 400 pages due at the end of the month (school started about 3 weeks ago and he apparently hasn't done any).

DH emailed his teacher asking if she could please look up exactly what we ordered as I forgot to copy the order forms before mailing them in. SS's teacher informed DH that BM gave 4 of the books to the classroom as a donation.

I am PISSED. I worked extra shifts at work to buy him these books and a game to have at our house. And his mom threw a fit when told we were keeping them. She did give DH some of the books when they exchanged last night and SS has been reading the one book that I ordered and seems excited about it for once! Am I overacting that these books should be coming to our house? Or that BM had no right to just give some of the books to the school? I hate asking his teacher for them back, but I ordered them for a reason and that reason was not to give them to the school. And I want to continue to order books but I am afraid of this happening again. We live an hour and a half from the school and only get there once every few months.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!