SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sila_gw

Please help me with my step child!

sila
17 years ago

Ok, first of all, I have been in this relationship for 3 & 1/2 years now. My wife has a daughter from a previous relationship that is now 7 years old. My wife and I have a son who is now 3 months. At the start of the relationship, I got along great with her daughter. She was a good kid, a little hyper at times, but a good kid. Problem is, I grew up in a pretty strict household. I was regularly punished for the things I done wrong and there fore I am the same with my children. My wife on the other hand, was brought up in a family that pretty much let her do whatever she wished. This causes her to let her daughter pretty much rule and do as she wants. I can't stand this and am always the one to put my foot down and put her in time out, ground her, send her to bed early, etc. when she does wrong. Me always being the "bad parent" has made her not like me and always fall to her mommy's side. She don't like to be around me, talk to me, or anything. She will stay up in her room and not come out until her mom gets home and then follow her around everywhere untill it's time for her to go to bed. We will all be sitting in the same exact room and she will ask her mom questions about me that she should of just asked me since I was sitting right there! I try and sit down and play a game with her or watch a movie and all I get from her is when is mom gonna be home? Where is mommy? I am sick of being the bad guy and doing all the punishing. I talk to her mom about this and all she can say is "I don't have the time to follow her around and deal with her every wrong move". Sadly this is making me dislike her daughter more and more to the point that I don't even like to see/hear her anymore. Her father is no where to be found so we get no breaks either. I just don't know what to do, it is ruining my relationship with my wife. Now that we have a son together, it really hampers the thought of leaving. What can I do?

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida