SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

My laugh for the day... Not SF related... well, maybe a little...

silversword
13 years ago

DH's grandfather is coming over for dinner Wed. DH told me yesterday evening, but I had been expecting him one day this week.

GPa eats early, so my day would be: pick up DD from school, drive home, get her homework started, etc. It will be 3:30 before I can even start to think about dinner. GPa eats at 5:30, which means he'll be at the house at 4:45 for wine and appetizers. Yes, one hour 15 minutes to cook, quick clean the kitchen and get myself presentable before he arrives.

NOT that I'm complaining. I love his GPa. It's just always a really tight squeeze on the day.

I asked last night what we should make, DH didn't know. I suggested a pasta salad because it has been so very very hot and I don't want to heat up the kitchen and grandpa is very health conscious , AND I can make the bulk of it today. (I make it with TONS of stuff in it and it always gets lots of compliments).

DH says no. So I suggest pork chops (I found some really beautiful ones at the new butcher shop I've been going to, and was wanting to try them).

DH says no. Then he says, what about those bone-things like pork? Ummmm, lamb chops? Does GPa like lamb? (it's one of those things... some people really don't prefer, including DD). So I tell him to email GPa and ask. Then I tell DH, I don't know where to get lamb consistently... except for Costco. Other stores sell it, but Costco is the only store I know will carry it and I'm not driving around like mad today trying to find some.

So DH starts to act like I'm going to Costco. LMAO. It's 100+ degrees, it's gonna be packed, no AC, I'll have to take DD (which means stopping at every sample station, and the people here act like Costco is responsible for feeding them, it gets extremely crazy and competitive)

No. So I say, "honey, that would be great. While you're there can you pick up some....." LOL. Short silence. "Oh," he says. I explained I'm not making a giant trip shopping for this, I love GPa, but we can make a simpler meal because I don't want to be in my housedress with my hair tied up in a scrunchie barefoot and sweaty when he comes over this time. (that was how I was last time, cooking up a storm, kitchen a mess.... and yeah, I was not particularly happy about it!!)

He says, you know, he's coming over tomorrow not today.

My Dear, Sweet, Ignorant Husband: Today I will have to shop, and straighten the house, and do the prep work. Along with helping DD with homework, powering out some laundry, etc. Tomorrow I will be assembling the meal and appetizers, along with straightening the house and helping dd with homework and getting her prepped.

So I tell him, if you want to help with any of that, I'm happy to search for the lamb.

Longer silence.

I felt really really good that I had just laid it out instead of taking it on, and then taking it out on everyone (especially DD) because I had taken on too much and was stressed out and hot and crabby and resentful.

Sometimes I really feel like I'm the only one who does jack around the house though. I know it's not true, and DH does do a lot, but when I came home last night and the dishes were stacked by the sink, the dishwasher needed to be unloaded, the basket of laundry was unfolded, there was no dinner ready and DD and I were back from her game at 7:30pm and she needed to be bathed and fed and bedded down for the night....

This is one of those.... if I were SM I would feel very put-upon, but DD is "mine" so I take it on myself and feel guilty for asking. But the heck if I'm going to take on the whole GPa weight as well. :)

Comments (8)