SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljw1259

Stepdaughters

ljw1259
9 years ago

I was remarried 1 and a half years ago to a wonderful man. We have known each other a long time, and our kids all knew each other before our marriage. All of our kids are adults. His daughter lives with us, she is 27 and has a 3 year old daughter of her own. She has been with us 3 years now. I am finding it harder and harder to deal with her in that she will not help do anything. She does clean her and her daughters room, but there are always kiddie cups sitting around, pop tart boxes, cereal boxes, back packs on the countertop, laundry left in the washer, clothes of her daughters that need cleaned left in the laundry sink for several days. We are always the ones fixing dinner and cleaning up afterwards, she never offers to help clean up. My husband and I go out to eat and she texts him to please bring her some food home, then she never eats it. She texts him several times while he and I are out together which irritates me. I DO like to have SOME alone time with my husband. She finally got a job last year, she gets child support and does buy pretty much everything her daughter needs, but instead of saving money for her and her daughter to move and make a life for themselves she spends her extra money on clothing and $360 boots for herself, manicures, going out to eat. Every week there is a package being delivered for her. Her dad bought her car a few years ago so the baby would be in a safe vehicle, he pays her cell phone bill and her car insurance. She has no bills. She doesn't want to have to pay a babysitter so she uses family members to babysit. We told her we would babysit 1 night a week and that is it. Her babysitter is 35 minutes away so she will call and want someone to pick up her daughter for her saying she can't get there in time when all along it's because she doesn't want to use her gas or take her time to go get her. It's out of everyones way. I picked her up one day and it took me a little over 2 hours before I got home because of traffic. I will not do it again. I know my husband has had a hard time also, my daughter also lives with us, she is an adult, but she is handicapped so I know he has had to make adjustments also and could probably write a book on this forum. I love his daughter very much, I would just like to see her lend a helping hand instead of being so selfish and only thinking about herself all the time. I would like to see her stand on her own 2 feet and get on with her life. She is going to college which is why he allows her to stay, he wants to try to help her get through and get a degree, although I am not sure that is going to happen. Does anyone know how I can cope with this without causing ill feelings? I have gathered all of her stuff up that she leaves sitting around and just put it in a pile on her bed before in frustration. I am not perfect, nor are my kids by any means, but I don't have to live with them either. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022