SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
music_teacher

Having kid when a stepchild is involved.

music_teacher
13 years ago

I have a situation that is starting to put strain on my recent marriage. I married a wonderful man who has a 10 yr old daughter that lives with us most of the time. I have a health issue that made it risky to have a child, so while we were dating and after we were married, we both knew that we would not be able to have kids of our own.

That has changed now - doctors have found the cause of my problem and can fix it. This means I can now have children, and I desperately want a child of my own. I'm only 28, and my husband is 38 and enjoys the freedom he has now that his daughter is older. He absolutely doesn't want another child. His daughter always says she loves being an only child, and even when joking about bringing my nephew to live with us, she says she'll move out.

This is already causing problems for us, and I end up resenting the relationship they have because it's one that I will never fully understand.

I really love my husband and don't want to give up on our marriage, but I don't know if I'll get over this.

What should I do?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County