SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seekergal

Is this disrespectful?

seekergal
13 years ago

I find that I am getting irritated with the way my step-children leave messages on our phone answering machine.

I understand that they are calling to speak with their father, and not me, so this isn't the issue.

What is beginning to bother me - because it has happened a lot - is that when they leave a message, they say, "Hi DAD, called to see how you guys are going." I feel that it would be helpful if they could say, "Hi Dad and (my name), called to see how you guys are doing."

I do exist, and I do have a name, and it seems easy enough to mention it in the salutation.

I guess I am touchy because my husbands sister and niece took it upon themselves to yell and scream at me in the hospital when their mother (grandmother) was dying. They said I had no right to be there because I "wasn't family". My husband had asked me to be there, and to help him during that time of high stress. My husbands sister also began rattling off a "list" of things that she had been mad at me for YEARS about - SILLY things - that could have been EASILY cleared up if she had said anything to me! Instead she has been harboring this anger for years. Even her husband was shocked at how his wife and their daughter took off on me! He had no idea they had been holding in this anger for so long.

So, I guess this could be why I am being sensitive about the phone messages from my stepchildren. Are they also harboring anger/resentment/etc... and this is their way of letting me know they are? They claim they aren't, but we aren't sure. As I have posted in another place, my stepchildren tend to not be open and honest with their feelings.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!