SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattie_gt

Not enough hours in the day - advice please!

mattie_gt
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I'm really hoping that (again!) some of you will have some more great advice.

So, we went on our mini-vacation; it was great, we all had a fantastic time and it was wonderful to see SS giggle and laugh and run around and just be truly happy and carefree like a little kid should be. But now we're back, and another visitation weekend is looming over us (tomorrow).

And SS is well into another clinginess phase. Because of work schedules, I'm the one who gets him up in the morning and is home after school to help with homework, usually start dinner, etc. And it's been awful. I've got to start work as soon as he gets off to school and finish up just before he gets home; that was fine, the plan was that I'd have time in the late afternoon/evening to get some stuff done around the house, start dinner, etc. while he was playing.

Well, that's not happening. He's been dawdling over homework and playing dumb (he'll answer 95% of math questions correctly, and then spend literally 45 minutes trying to convince me that he doesn't know what 2 + 1 is nor how to figure it out), he'll spend 90 minutes (not) eating his dinner, he'll "forget" how to tie his shoes or button his shirt(!), he'll argue about every single thing, and overall acts like he's trying to get himself into trouble (which he may well be doing; I'm no psychologist), and even if everything manages to get done he still won't go play with his friends but tells me he'd rather stay at home and then follows me around.

I understand that he's going through a lot right now, but something has got to change very soon. I've been spending literally his every waking moment outside of school with him. DH does what he can but with his work schedule he tends to get home in time for dinner/soccer/family activities.

We've tried to calmly explain that we have things we need to get done too, but that's just been ignored. So what am I supposed to do when he just will not leave my side and I desperately need to get some things done? Ignore him? Yell at him? Punish him? (Obviously those are rhetorical questions and not options.)

This is such a mess. DH and I cannot keep staying up late indefinitely (to do things after SS is in bed); I'm going to fall apart soon and that's not going to help anyone, and I just don't know what to do. Any advice would be appreciated, PLEASE!

Comments (16)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor