SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
justnotmartha

and continues getting better . . . (this ones for you, Sweeby!)

justnotmartha
14 years ago

as the saga continues . . .

At last post SD was going to meet with her counselor. I adore that man. He just *gets it* so well. He told SD she was justified in her feelings and he was proud of her for finding her voice, but to make sure to use it for good not evil. He told SD to write an email/letter to mom and get her points out regarding cutting visitation, and then be prepared to talk. He gave her several suggestions on how to talk to her mom, and 'permission' to hang up if BM wouldn't listen or got nasty.

Sd writes the email, BM pretty much blows her off. Fast forward to Sunday, and DH calls BM to say that SD is adamant she doesn't want to stay at her mom's the next day (Monday overnight visit) and that he will not force her. SD was ok with a few hour visit and back her, so that was what he offered. AMAZINGLY ridiculous conversation followed that I won't even get in to, but basically BM took NO responsibility for any of her actions and pushed blame on pretty much every one but the Pope. Sd was in the room for the conversation (first time that has ever happened - weird. We've always gone to such lengths to keep her out of them) and she was blown away just by her dad's side. She then offered to call BM and repeat what her dad said and let her know it was coming from her. UGLY conversation followed where BM laid on every guilt trip/dirty ploy/childish behavior in the book. SD, to my surprise, was very strong and hit her mom with a few zingers that made me flinch. I can't imagine being on the receiving end of this conversation and not stop to think "my God, what could I have done to make my daughter feel this way?" Not BM though. She went so far as to tell SD she needed to take responsibility for her little sister eating the medication in her nightstand a few weeks back because she left it there and quit trying to put the blame on her (BM) for not watching her child and allowing her to play in her sisters bedroom unsupervised. Yes truly. BM feels she has no responsibility there. At that point SD was in tears and hung up the phone. I was LIVID.

So Monday comes and BM shows up to pick up a pissy SD. About 75 minutes later DH gets a text that they are on the way back - 75 minutes early. BM basically told Sd she 'needed to get over herself', 'take responsibility for her actions' and apologize. Until then, she didn't need to come back. She told SD we had raised a brat. She called SD a "sassy b!tch" and the two year old continued to call SD that - not once did BM stop her or admonish her. SD came home hurt and angry. Hurt that she was told not to come back. Angry that her mom couldn't see past her own nose and take ownership of any part of their problems.

BM called DH today to let him know that her friends and therapist told her to forgive herself for her past and she had, so until SD could do that and apologize she didn't need to come back. When she was ready to apologize she could call.

DH tried to tell BM it wasn't just the past - it was last weekend! It was behavior that has gone on for years, but Sd was now mature enough to understand and speak out. BM is just in incapable of getting it. So now SD is torn between staying strong and caving in, and I get that. Its difficult to support her and encourage her strength without screaming "stick it to the b!tch!!", but I'm working on it. :-) As of now SD has NO plans to go there at all this weekend. We are going to try to stay busy here with family and friend stuff to keep her mind on happier topics as she's currently asking what kind of person can have a mom who doesn't want them any more?

Swear to God I would ring that woman's neck if given 1/16th of a chance.

I'm back to JMN dilemma #1 - try yet AGAIN to get through to the woman that she is going to have to listen to SD and look within herself if she hopes to have any relationship with her daughter or just let her wallow in it. . . which means, to some extent, SD wallows as well.

The part of me that CAN'T handle people who are so obviously in the wrong not getting that and take ownership for the problems they cause wants to talk/email/take out a sky banner. The part of me who wants to see her reap what she's sowed is trying to keep her mouth closed and fingers still. Honestly, I've yet to figure out if it's better for SD to have her mom in her life or not. I can't really solve my dilemma if I can't answer that, can I?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz