SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
imamommy

Speaking of freedom... what about crossing the street alone?

imamommy
13 years ago

I started to write this as a response to someone else's thread but then realized it might be hijacking so I'm starting a new thread.

I think SD11 has been too sheltered and for the last couple of years, I have pushed for DH to let her do more for herself. This year, we put her in a new school district to see if she could do better in a new atmosphere. The school is also closer to where I work & she catches the bus a block from my office. So, I have been having her walk to the bus in the morning, which is a block away & she has to cross the street at the crosswalk.

Today, I got a call from the bus supervisor telling me that it is illegal for her to cross the street alone. I was told that she would have to use a different bus stop that would mean I have to get to work at 6:30am... we open at 7. The options are 1) come to work early so she can catch the bus at the beginning of the route. 2) drop her off on my way to work & she stays at the stop for 20 minutes (which I find less appealing since the stop is at a store that has gone out of business, so it's a vacant parking lot) or 3) I take her to work with me & leave work 20 minutes after I get there to drive her a block away to her stop, which isn't a great option since there are times I am the only person there & I can't leave the business unattended.

So, I called a law enforcement agency to ask if it really is illegal to let her walk & cross the street. The officer actually laughed and said the school is wrong. I agree that SD is immature & if they had told me they had concern for her ability to cross safely, I would be on board with finding an alternative. But, she has been using the crosswalk & their only issue seems to be that she has to cross a street to get to her bus stop, which they apparently have a problem with. She is in the 6th grade & I think it's ridiculous to have to drive her like she's in primary grades.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert