SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thestepdaughter

Stepmother from hell

thestepdaughter
16 years ago

From what I have seen, this site seems mostly focused on complaints about stepchildren, but hopefully my problem will be well received as well.

Background: I am an adult stepchild. I have a mother and stepfather who raised me since age 5. I also have a father who was mainly absent during my life and a stepmother who came into the picture when I was an adult.

The situation: The woman is making me crazy! She lives in a different state and married a man (my dad) who has never had any real relationship with his children. One would think that she would be a non-issue, but she insists on making me and my sister miserable.

My complaints:

1. She has 2 children with her 1st husband and every time we interact she insists on going on and on about how great of a father my dad is to her kids. Well good from them, he never was there for me.

2. When I called my dad out for not keeping his word to me one day (par for the course), she felt compelled to insert herself in the situation and call me (when my dad was asleep) and rip me a new one and give me the rules for speaking to my father. How dare she! My relationship with my father is none of her business. I am not a child, I have never even visited her home, much less lived with her. Where exactly does she think she has the authority to tell me anything at all? He is a big boy, if he doesn't want me to tell him he sucks, then maybe he should try not being such a jerk.

3. She calls me ALL THE TIME to tell me how much my dad wants a relationship with me, how hurt he is that we don't call, how I should call him, and not to tell him that she called me. How manipulative can she be? And does she think I'm an idiot? I could probably count the number of times my dad has called me in my entire life...Let's see, I'm 31, so that would be maybe 60 times (birthdays and christmas). So the idea that he wants a relationship is ridiculous.

4. She regularly wants my sister and I to send our children up to visit her and my dad and her kids. It is almost comical. Our kids don't know them. Do they really think I am sending my children to visit strangers? Besides the fact that they smoke in their house. Our kids have respiratory issues and the few times that I have slept under the same roof with them (at my grandmother's house) both of them would sneak cigs in the basement during the day and smoke in the rest of the house if they thought we were asleep at night. If I cannot trust them to respect me when I am present, how can I expect them to do so when I am not present. PS This is the same man who put me on an airplane with a sinus and ear infection and said "Your mother can take you to the doctor when you get home." I doubt I have to tell you how painful that flight was.

I don't know where this woman is coming from and I wish like hell she would just go away. I have come to refer to her as the stalker. She recently called my sister during my sister's chem class, and proceeded to call 15 times in a row when she didn't answer. BTW, she didn't need anything.

My relationship with my dad has always been tentative at best. I have always been the adult in it since I was 5 years old.

My sister has had it with the new wife and stopped taking calls from either of them months ago.

I am almost there as well. I feel bad because I do believe my dad is a ok guy, just a crappy father. I had come to terms with the fact that he would never be a father, stopped hoping he would be, and accepted him and our relationship as it was. The stepmother just seems to be opening up old wounds. It's tricky becuase I cannot go to my dad for help, we just don't have taht relationship.

I'm not sure what I am looking for advise wise. I guess maybe I just needed to vent.

And to put it out there that sometimes stepparents are the ones that make stepchildren miserable, not the other way around.

Comments (23)