Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My husband hates my kids...should I leave him

Posted by uceve (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 12, 09 at 19:01

My husband hates my kids, and they hate him back, which makes for a miserable home life. They do not speak to each other or have any interaction with each other. Because of the lack of communication in the home it is a very tense environment. A few years ago my husband called my daughter a very bad curse word (female dog), and she has never forgave him. Last year my oldest son graduated from high school, and was starting a community college in the fall, my husband wanted him out of the house immediately, without a care as to where he would live. As far as he was concerned he is grown and is it is time to go. My youngest son is very involved in sports and plays for an elite basketball team, which requires a lot of travel, time and money. Many games are held on Sundays and out of town. My husband has said that I must attend church on Sundays and that he will have to go with another parent or the coach. Because of all of the tension between my husband and children I am very unhappy. My children also tell my family what a horrible step father he is and so my family is mad at me and they say I am putting my husband before my children and that I should leave him. Please help, I am desperate for any advice on this mess.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My husband hates my kids...should I leave him

You haven't given any information that supports staying, and haven't painted a pretty picture of your husband or your marriage.

Why should you stay?

o

My thoughts entirely. Why are you staying with this controlling a-----e? No one is happy, and I suspect that if your children were all out of the picture things would only get worse as you would then no longer have ANY support in your own home.

o

Life is too short not to be happy.....even a little bit happy.
Sounds like something needs to change at your house.

o

this post doesn't sound for real to me. doesn't make any sense.

o

You shouldn't even need to ask. Parents, put your kids first. Please. It really is that simple.

o

My husband hates my kids...should I leave him?

In a word, yes.

o

Well if you stay you will continue to be treated like sh** and controlled. You won't be allowed to see your son's sporting events. And you will have to watch each of your children being thrown out on their butts at 18. But up until they are thrown out they will be made miserable on a daily basis.

Sound fun? If so then by all means stay put!

o

One question: How can you stay with him when you know he hates your kids? No make that 2 questions, why do you hesitate?

o

Of course you should leave this guy. The good news is it sounds like you have family to help you transition. Yes leaving a marriage is scary, but one day at a time. This is worse than spousal abuse, this is abuse of children. And you know it.

o

I would like to thank everyone for the feedback. kkny is absolutely correct, I am scared of starting over again, as this is my 2nd marriage. I did leave him for about 3 months last year, he promised he make some changes and that if I moved back home we would go to marriage counseling. He refused to go to counseling unless I came back home. And, at first it seemed to be getting better, but then things started to take a turn for the worst again. He started complaining that I am always running my kids around, going to ball games, and not paying him enough attention. The change that would be most significant to me is to interact with kids, like going to the ball games with me, asking them how they are doing in school, and just being a positive male figure in their lives. I know they are not his biological children so he may never have strong connection with them, but to just have love and compasssion for them as you would for any other human being. Because it is so ironic, how outgoing he is at church and his work. He calls the elderly to check on them, prays with the pastor, laughs and talks with other members. I see that side of him and I think that's a really nice guy. But when we get home, he sits in his recliner in the family room and never talks to anyone else in the house except for me. The church frowns on divorce. But, I see no other alternative out of this situation. I have made a final decision, I am leaving. Thanks everyone for your advice it was very helpful to get the input of others. Sometimes when you are in the middle of a mess you cannot see clearly. Thanks again.

o

"He refused to go to counseling unless I came back home. And, at first it seemed to be getting better, but then things started to take a turn for the worst again."

That's the way these guys maintain control;;
once you've "come home", they don't *have* to do anything differnt, & every time you leave & come back, your support group, family, friends, etc, gets mroe discouraged & less apt to help you the next time it happens.

& they're Jekyll & Hydes;
the "outside" community, church, co-workers, neighbors, etc, always see them as charming, compassionate, etc, & their victims are the only ones who see the "Mr Hyde" personality.

They're so convincing that, if the victims complain or reach out for help, they often aren't believed.

Often they have trouble believing themselves, as you said when you wrote "I see that side of him and I think that's a really nice guy".

Keep it constantly in your mind that the "side" of him that's so appealing is *not real*.

It's a mask, a facade, a con.

It's the camouflage he uses to catch prey.

You're doing the exactly right thing.

Stay strong, stay firm in your resolution, protect yourself & take care of your kids, & if church members or anybody else try to take up for him, say, firmly, "He's a Jekyll & Hyde" & change the subject.

They can't believe you, & you'll weara yourself out trying to make them believe you.

I wish you the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here