SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wonderingsm

My husband and his kids refuse to speak English!

wonderingsm
13 years ago

My husband and I have been married for almost 1 year. We each have children from previous marriages. He is not from the United States and his native language is Spanish. Since we began dating, I have embraced his culture and appreciate many things about it.

However one thing has been bothering me. We live with his 2 youngest children (ages 14 and 13). When they speak together, it's always in Spanish. Even when I am in the room and we are all having a conversation...suddenly they break off into a different conversation in Spanish..and I am left to wonder what the heck they are talking about. I have addressed this before and have asked them to please speak in English when we are all in the same room. I have explained how I feel it's rude and it feels like they are purposefully leaving people out of a conversation. But it hasn't changed at all.

I think it's great they are all bilingual...the kids' English is just as perfect as their Spanish and I know they are blessed to have such a gift. I have no problem if they are on the phone or having a private conversation with someone to speak in Spanish. However, I feel that it's my home, too and 50% of the time, I don't even know what's being talked about.

I feel isolated in my own home... Does anyone think I am just overreacting, or what should I do?

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz