SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

Friend Issue Again

mom2emall
14 years ago

I posted before about this situation. My son has a friend who he has kind of outgrown. The last few times they hung out the kid did not want to play anything my son wanted to play and cried when he did not get his way. We invited him over for a pool party and he got upset because kids were splashing and he cried. I offered to let him go home and he said ok. Then he changed his mind. Everyone else was in the pool and he said he wanted to play video games. I told him that it was a pool party and nobody was going to be inside playing video games. So he cried and said that he had no video games anymore and that he was not even allowed to watch tv. (His family had decided to get rid of tv and video games indefinately) I told him that I understood how he felt, but that he was either swimming or going home.

Most of the summer my son has avoided him. He just says he dislikes playing with the boy. So I have let him just ignore the boys phone calls in hopes the boy would stop calling.

Today the boy called twice and finally my son said he would call him back and give him another chance. So my son returned his call and invited him over to play. I had 2 boys I babysit here and the neighbor boy was over playing too. They all wanted to play army with nerf guns and were running outside. After a few minutes the boy decided he did not want to play that. He said he is not really allowed to play guns. So my son offered to play football or scooter races or cops & robbers. The boy said he did not like any of those. He said he wanted to play video games since he still does not have any. I said that we were playing outside, not on video games. So he cried again!! He refused to play with my son or the other boys and just sat outside looking miserable.

He was here about 2 hours and did not play with any of the kids. Instead he spent the whole time playing with my dog. So I told the boy that it was time to go because the kids I was bbsitting were leaving soon and we had to go to the store.

Now my son says that he gave the boy another chance and he just does not want to play with him anymore. I understand. But what do I do if he continues calling? Obviously ignoring him does not work.

Should I just be honest with the mom and tell her that her son and my son just can never agree on what to play when he is here and that most times her son cries because he wants to play video games?

Even the few times my son has played video games with her son they can't play many of the games we have because the boy is only allowed to play certain games. The army ones that my boys enjoy are rated teen so the boy is not allowed to play them.

Comments (9)