SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dfwmom_gw

Please Help! SD & DD15 Constant Criticism

DFWmom
12 years ago

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to this board and this is my first post. I'd like some advice regarding our family situation now. I know that there are others who have been in my situation and can share their thoughts. In fact, posts made by Thurman sound kind of like what happens in my family but instead of the 2 or 3 times a year, I'm living it everyday and I'm the one in the wife role and Thurman acts the way my husband does.

My DD15 pretty much tries to aviod SD and walks on eggshells because I know she can sense his dislike for her. He picks apart everything she does. I don't feel like he does this to DD14 or DS10 (which are all my children, he has no bio children, he has been in our lives for 8 years now). Every little thing that involves DD15 turns into a big fiasco with him and I can see that it's starting to take a toll on the other siblings. They are now starting to act the same way towards her.

My DD15 is no angel by any means but she is not the worst kid in the world but if you asked my DH, he can't come up with one good thing to say about her. In fact, that was one of the exercises that we had to do in a counseling session. In our session we had to say one good thing about each other. When it was my DD15 turn to say something good about her SD she said "he makes my mom happy". Then it was DH turn to say something good about DD15 and we heard NOTHING. I was so embarrassed and hurt. My DD15 was hurt as well.

Honestly it's like he almost turns into a different person when she is in the room. You can feel the tension and his silent anger towards her. I have have talked to him about this countless times and he feels he's doing nothing wrong. I just don't know what to do because I feel stuck in the middle of this. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks for listening.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living