SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoria1_gw

Michigan Men and Custody....Urgent Advice Please!

victoria1
17 years ago

I hope this is the most appropriate forum for this.

Here is the situation: Basically the mom is trying to take away my friend's daughter! Where can a guy turn?

The Details:

He has a daughter a year and a half old. I have known his ex girlfriend/baby's mom for several years as well. Before her birth things went bad with the mother, she cheated on him repeatedly before the pregnancy so they broke up...needless to say he was not positive the child was his. After her birth, he took the paternity test which proved indeed he was the father. Immediately he took responsibility, but the courts were hard on him because something along the lines of "he did not show outstanding character and support during the pregnancy". Which of course that is total BS and totally unfair.

My friend works two jobs; one check completely goes to his daughter (or rather, her mom), and almost half of the other does. He does not have custody, just visitation, because initially he was in a bad financial state and had to get things together which he did in a hurry. Most importantly, he sees his daughter several times a week and really enjoys spending time with her. The mother wears single motherhood like a badge of honor, but partys incessantly like she never had a child. She even keeps the baby out until 2am frequently while she is partying, and on one occassion she ended up injured because she was not being supervised! She is around druggie and premiscuous people (I know because I know them) and what the child is exposed to my friend and I are extremely concerned about, which she states is "none of his business". She lives with her parents still who make very good income, she had a great job where she made several times the income of my friend but got fired so now he has to pay even more I think. She gets all the child support, state aid, her parents' assistance, and she even tried to make him get health insurance for the baby and hide the fact that she already HAD it through work or something like that, which my friend promptly cleared up with the courts. She drops the baby off dirty, without supplies, and often calls in the middle of the night to drop the baby off because she wants "alone time" with her boyfriend.

My friend struggles yes. He works hard to survive and provide for the baby, and he would do anything to have time for school. He is always trying to get a better job or some kind of training so he can be in a better situation, but it always comes down to the money at the end of the month. It was all he could do to get a decent car so he could be safe driving with his daughter. She can manipulate the system all day and be a lazy lump and he is just trying to make an honest living and be a good dad. It just makes my heart bleed when I see this.

Now here's the issue. Her "boyfriend" joined the military, not sure which branch. They have broken up several times and although my friend likes him and says he is a decent guy, the couple fights like mad. He has been off training in another state, and suddenly they want to get married. Now she is saying that the army will hire a lawyer, so my friend can make it easier on himself and sign over rights and say goodbye to his little daughter, or just battle and lose. After marriage they will move to another state or possibly out of the country. He has no money to hire a lawyer, and she knows that. He is absolutely not willing to say goodbye to her, because he knows the lies his mother will tell her, etc. She is all he really has...there has to be something he can do, it just seems so skewed in women's favor here in MI.

The boyfriend is coming back to have a "discussion" with my friend, which means he will try and persuade him to let her go. This puzzles me since he lost a child once. In all actuality, I think she should relinquish her custody, so she can party without a little girl suffering, but "motherhood" is her badge and "excuse" for a lot of things, so she never will.

Where can my friend turn for assistance? Any advice, etc? Anything would really be appreciated as I would hate to see my friend parted with the little love of his life and see a child suffer in the process:(

Comments (50)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County