SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stacee1234

Husband won't take responsibility for parenting mistakes

stacee1234
13 years ago

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but am at my wit's end about something, so I hope someone has some advice for me. My husband will not take any responsibility for parenting mistakes he made as a father in his previous marriage. For the first 6 years of our marriage it didn't matter to me much and I would just let him vent and blame his ex-wife for how their kids turned out. But now we have kids of our own and I am terrified of him making the same mistakes - especially because he won't own up to anything and thinks he did/does nothing wrong as a parent. What should I do? Make him go to counseling? Leave him to protect the children? His mistakes are well intentioned but wrong none the less... being their friend more than a father, not requiring them to take responsibility for themselves, and giving his teenage daughter tips on working out so she can lose weight and tone up (which makes her feel horrible about herself!). I've tried gently suggesting ways he can improve, but he doesn't get it. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Comment (1)