SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mom2emall

sister issue

mom2emall
16 years ago

I know this is a stepfamily forum, but I feel that you all have given good advice and I want your imput on a situation regarding my sister.

We have always been close. My sis is in her mid 20's and just had a baby. The father is a LOSER. He does not work EVER, has a BAD drug problem, has stolen from my sister on at least 4 occasions that I know of (stole credit cards and ran them up etc), took her cell phone last time he ran off, has cheated on her with his ex, has 2 other kids that the state has taken away from his ex-and prior to that he paid no support and had no visitation, has told another of my family members that "he could get a girl who is a "10", but settled for my sister because she has a "good personality". He has taken off on her throughout her pregnancy, the last time telling her that he never cared about her. My other sis and I were the ones who threw her a baby shower and were at the hospital with her during delivery. We were the ones who helped her buy baby stuff and hung out with her during her whole pregnancy. We took turns staying at the hospital with her after. Now "Mr. Wonderful" has reappeared. My sister and the baby stayed at his moms house for a week and he went out EVERY NIGHT and came back at wee hours of the morning.

Now she is hanging out with him, buying him food and a new pair of shoes. She told me the other day that she told him if he could stay clean until her lease is up in a few months she would move out of state with him! He has relatives out of state who will let them live in their own place rent free while they get on their feet. She says that he will stay off drugs there! I told her that he will certainly be able to find drugs anywhere he lives! I told my sister that if he can not stay clean here she should not chance quitting her well paying job and moving across the country. I also pointed out to her that the few time he earned any cash out here from doing work around peoples houses he disappeared on drug binges.

Her defense: "he is my baby's father"!!!!! She uses that excuse to justify hanging out with him and sleeping at his moms house with him. She said they are friends and I pointed out that friends do not make-out like they have been. And I reminded her that a few days ago, when he left her at his moms with the baby, he was out with his ex. Then she told me that she did not want to hear me say anything bad about him. I had it at that point and started reminding her of all the horrible things he has done and asked her what good he has ever done for her besides giving her a beautiful baby! She hung up on me and then sent me text messages telling me it is her life and nothing I say matters and told me that when I get off my high horse then I can call her, until then she has nothing to say to me.

So, I sent her one back telling her that I do not want to be a part of her fantasy land with a guy who clearly does not care about her and is with her for convenience. I pointed out that she doesn't talk about him to our father or any of his family or bring him around them because she knows he is a loser. I told her that when she gets some self-esteem and is tired of being used and abused then she can try to call me. I told her to think long and hard about trading a sister that has always been there for her for a guy who has a shelf life of a few weeks before he steals $ from her and takes his ex on a drug binge.

Now I feel HORRIBLE! I love my sister and my new neice. But, I just got so fed up with her acting like hanging out with my neices father was normal. My sister is a bigger girl and has always had a hard time dating, I know she has low self-esteem. But it kills me to watch her spend all her money on him, while he contributes NOTHING (has not even bought a pack of diapers for the baby!). And it kills me to hear that he is out with his ex doing drugs and see my sister acting like it is not happening! I pointed out to her that her daughter does not deserve to grow up around someone who is going to take off like he does, and I asked her how she will pay her bills on maternity leave right now if he steals from her again. I also pointed out that nobody wants him around, that I never visit her when he is there and that he will never be allowed at my house or around my kids.

My dh says that I did the right thing, that someone had to say something to her instead of co-signing her BS. My other sis has also told her the same things I have about him being a loser. She blew up at her too. I just am so sad now. Do you think I did the right thing?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County