SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
end_of_rope

Dealing with adult stepkids

end-of-rope
16 years ago

I am new to this forum and am in need for advise and support.

I have been with my husband for 10 yrs and just recently got married (10 months ago). My relationship with the stepkids was excellent until 1 month before the wedding. Prior to the wedding, my SK invited their dad for supper to advise him that they wanted no part of the wedding (we were having a sand ceremony where everyone was to be involved), their BM still loved him and wanted him back and that they wanted pre-nuptials signed. At first, my DH lied about their meeting,he was very upset about this meeting but made me feel like I counted and was #1 to him. Was he being sincere???? I do not feel comfortable around the SK's anymore and feel like I have to walk on eggshells when they are around.

The middle SD will bring up her BM every time I see her; she never did this in the past. This is the one that wants her parents back together. Her and I were really close, she was always at our house and I looked after her kids often. I do not trust the SK's - is this just my insecurity?

The SK's do not acknowledge that we are part of the family - they do not acknowledge my kids at all.

Will the fairly tale ending of Mom and Dad getting back together ever end with her?

Please help as I am getting very frustrated and do not want to be around them anymore as they make me feel very uncomfortable. I love my husband dearly but am really not sure if this is all worth it.

My DH and my kids get along very well. I would not put up with the disrespect (my kids 16, 15, 11).

Looking for advise on how to deal with them. Do I make myself absent when they are around or suck it up?

Comments (74)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21