SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karilc100

Feeling Excluded - BF and Kids away at Camp - Im left home!

Karilc100
9 years ago

My BF and I have lived together for 3 years and have been together for 7 years, having had a long distance relationship prior to moving in together. We have a great relationship. He has four children and I have none. ( I lost a child as a result of a car accident when I was pregnant with her. She was stillborn.) I desperately wanted to have a child with my BF, however my age, his four children, and his vasectomy make that an impossibility. One that I mourn every day. His children spend every holiday, many weekends, and most of the summer with us - we have a good relationship, and mostly we spend the summer "entertaining" the kids, who do not live in same state (Their mother moved them away). We have had them in our home the past three summers. His ex-wife is extremely hostile, and has alienated the SD (15) almost completely, however my BF has worked hard to maintain excellent relationships with the other children (ages 10, 10 and 12). My issue is this: Right now, all five of them are away at summer camp, for two weeks and I have been "left behind". My BF took an employment position at the camp, to allow him to afford the very expensive ($10,000 for the four kids for 2 weeks) camp experience. He is living and working on site with them. I supported the decision initially as I knew it would be an amazing experience for the kids, and thinking only of them, I was fully involved in the decision to send everyone. I had visions of relaxing, working and enjoying the time to myself. It has NOT worked out that way. I am miserable, to the point of crying myself to sleep nightly, and waking nauseated. I can't concentrate or work. I feel weak and guilty for feeling so left out, and excluded. The truth is my BF is not "on vacation" hes actually working very hard! He took his two weeks vacation to make this happen, and I admire his dedication to his kids to provide this experience for them. (Says my head). My heart says otherwise. The first week almost killed me. I scour the camp website for pictures of the kids -- and post them to my FB page with excited and supportive encouragment. But, in my heart, what I really do... is look for kids that might look like the daughter I lost, wonder what activities she might choose, and cry my eyes out that she is not here to experience what my BF's kids are experiencing in their lives. I'm bitter and depressed that we do not have an "intact" family of our own! I feel that if we had our own children, this week would not be SO horrible for me, and I'd handle it with grace, and with maturity. Instead, I am feeling sorry for myself, angry, bitter, and jealous. And guilty for those feelings!! It seems this camp experience has raised so many feelings of being excluded or left out for me. The kids remind me regularly that I do not share their last name, and when at the in-laws I see family wedding pictures all over his mom's home that include the ex-wife -- whom they all despise -- and none of me. At a recent family re-union a videotape of photos shown, was titled "Past, Present and Future" and yet there was not a single picture of me in the presentation -- even though I consider myself ( and so does my BF) part of the present and the future. The kids are thriving at camp, and I'm proud of my BF for providing this for them. When they return, they'll have just a single night here, meaning they come brimming with stories of camp, and then off they go to their Mom's. I am so distraught feeling that they will forever share memories of childhood summer camp - including their Dad -- and it's yet ANOTHER part of their lives I've missed out on. Ive missed so much already -- met them at ages 7-11, so never knew them as infants, or babies, and never saw my BF as a new Dad. I missed... everything and it's so painful to me. I'm struggling trying to come to terms with the fact that they will most certainly want to attend this camp again next summer, and I don't think I can handle it. I can't. It's killing me, because I'm a strong person, generally, and feel like this is just too much to bear. How do I deal with the stories, and the excitement, and the shared experiences they now have? And worse, how do I voice my opinion of "never again!" I have very little contact with my BF at camp, and texted some of this, and said I could not handle this again next summer. He responded that was "selfish" of me. I'm crying myself to sleep for 6 more nights, and probably many more after that even once they return...... Feeling excluded, left out, and lonely.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living