SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
finedreams

DD's college graduation

finedreams
13 years ago

OK, DD graduated! Commencement is next week. I am flying on Saturday. Hooray!

here is my problem or question or whatever, maybe just venting, it is family related but not step.

Due to limited seats for guests at a commencement ceremony, (her University limits guest number: 2 per family, 3 with special request), price of airfare and hotels and long distance neither mine nor DD's dad's family members are attending.

But family members on both sides and people who are close to DD are sending either gifts or money or whatever people find appropriate, even just a card. Mind you DD is unassuming, and humble, and is not expecting anything, but clearly some attention is nice.

DD is very family oriented, always buys everyone small gifts (even being broke college student), she is a family historian, did a lot of research finding lost family members, visited all kind of archives creating genealogical tree etc My point is she is very into the family thing.

So anyways people want to send something, well people like my parents send cash, my aunt bought her a necklace, my 8-year-old niece made her a card, attention counts, not the price of course. last few days I've been driving to people getting stuff.

here is my problem. EVERYONE except my brother does something. I am his only sibling, DD is my only child so she is his only niece.

My brother does a lot for SIL's nephew, takes him on vacations, he lives with them over summer, he buys him stuff, pays for tutor for him etc YET HE DOESN"T EVEN BUY DD A CARD FOR DD's COLLEGE GRADUATION. I gave him hints by saying "i am driving to our aunt, she is sending something to DD. I have to see mom and dad they sending something to DD" NOTHING. No reaction.

I asked my mom if i should say something, she told me to let it go, he is just generally inattentive, but I am pretty upset. His only niece is graduating college with very good grades and he wouldn't even send a card???

now, what would you do? is it understandable for me to be upset or not? is it normal to not even send a card or a small gift? would you say anything? I have hard time dealing with it. I know DD wouldn't say anything, but I could just see how she'll be opening things and not even a card from her ONLY uncle. WTF? (and by the way nothing from my SIL-his wife either, but at least her excuse is she si crazy).

I appreciate whatever you guys are going to say, tell me if I am off base here.

Comments (15)