Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
In need of some help.

Posted by Melanie1385 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 17:43

I have been dating my boyfriend for one year and he has a 3 year old son that lives with him. The son and I have gotten along great from the start. He would play with me, interact with me quite often, even tell me he loves me from time to time. I have noticed within the past few weeks he has become very distant and it has gotten to the point where he will not even acknowledge that I am there anymore. When he is asked why the sudden change in behavior by his father, he responds by saying "mommy told me not to be nice". It kills me because we had such a good relationship. It has gotten to the point where the son's constant disrespect has become an issue for my boyfriend and I. he does not understand why I get so frustrated and i don't understand why he can't understand where i am coming from. he has had many talks with his son, but nothing seems to be working. the son has also gotten to the point that every tie my boyfriend and I speak to each other he stands in between and repeats "daddy daddy daddy" until he gets all of my boyfriends attention. I do not know what to do at this point because i do not want this to end up ruining our relationship. If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: In need of some help.

Clearly the biomom is playing games....using the child to get at her ex for some reason. You, as not even a step-mom, but just a GF at this point, need to stay out of it with the child...it's not your responsibility. Leave it to your BF to talk to the child, and the biomom to figure out why she's doing this and for her to know how harmful it is to the child to be used like a pawn like this. Is the mom some type of nut-job?

I think it's entirely within reason to punish the child for disrespectful behavior, regardless if the mom is the one pushing him to do it. But punishments must come from the boys father....not you. Step parents should have very limited, if any, role in the discipline of a child.

Do you live with them?

o

I don't know about punishment;
it might drive the wedge in further.

& this isn't really about the little guy;
it's about your boyfriend's ex using their child to pull strings in boyfriend's life.

bf does need to lay down the law to his son's mother,as a matter between the 2 of them, not involving his son & not involving you.

(If he'd wanted her controlling his life, I guess he'd have stayed married to her...)

o

I don't think the OP is suggesting punishment, but a big red flag for me is where she says, "he does not understand why I get so frustrated and i don't understand why he can't understand where i am coming from." She also says that BF has "had many talks" with his son. Clearly the "talks" are not having any effect- BF has not communicated well to his son that his behaviour is not acceptable. If BF was serious about it he would be having a serious talk with BM and laying down the law with his son, but he's not doing either.
I suspect nothing will happen to curb BM's using her child to get at who she perceives as her rival and things will be the same as or worse the longer this relationship continues. I can see Melaniel becoming imamommy Mark 2.

o

oops, sorry, I was responding to something said by mkroopy, not OP:

"I think it's entirely within reason to punish the child for disrespectful behavior"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here