SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mattie_gt

Well, I don't see why I should have to pay ANYTHING!

mattie_gt
13 years ago

So, DH just came out of his child support hearing. SS17 is now SS18, and so DH was pursuing CS from BM (for SS8). In our state, first it starts in front of an arbitrator; it's a pretty straightforward calculation based on income, usually. If for some reason one of the parties feels that they should pay/receive more or less than the standard, the arbitrator tries to help them reach a compromise. So, the guy ran the numbers based on their incomes, and told them the amount. BM said she couldn't afford it (it's a pitifully small amount anyway; not even as much as the monthly gas bill). DH offered to compromise at a lower amount - BM countered with HER offer of - nothing. Zero, zilch, nada, zip. Seriously!

So, they went in front of the judge (which we have heard is very inadvisable to do unless you have a really good reason for deviating from the guidelines; apparently they tend to get annoyed at having their time spent on things like that). BM then repeated her "offer" of nothing, told the judge that she doesn't see why she should have to pay anything anyway, said that DH is married and that since I work that I should be paying, that she cannot afford it because the internet and cable TV bills are too expensive, that she buys SS clothes when he's up there (not true) and gifts for his birthday (also not true!), and that "I don't know if you people just expect me to pull money out of my a$$".

Apparently the judge was not amused with her shenanigans and so made her decision....the standard amount (the one that DH had been willing to go lower than). DH said that he said almost nothing at all but just sat there half-appalled and half-trying not to laugh.

One can only hope she'll behave in a similar fashion at the visitation modification!

Comments (14)