SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lara1103

should spouse with kids pay more of mortgage?

lara1103
9 years ago

My husband and I want to buy a house together, but there's a debate about how much of the mortgage each of us should pay. I have 2 kids from a previous marriage. He has none. While we've been renting I've been paying two-thirds of the rent (since I have 2 kids who are with us half the time we figured they counted as 1 whole person). I also pay a larger percentage of the utilities.

When we buy a house, though, I think we should split the morgage payments equally if we want to have equal interest in the house. But he thinks I should pay more since my kids will be living there "for free" if not. I say if I pay more of the morgage, then I should have a larger interest in the house when we eventually sell it. I agree that the kids will cause some wear and tear--I'm willing to pay more of any repair bills or repainting, etc. that would be due to their presence. And I will still pay a larger percent of the utilities. If I pay more of the mortgage, then I'm essentially paying him "rent" for the kids.

He argues that we could buy a smaller house if we didn't have the kids. I agree that this is true, but when we sell a larger house, we will get more money out of it. It's just a larger investment.

What do you think? Should I pay rent for my kids? If so, how much would be fair?

Comments (12)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus