Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Laundry anyone?

Posted by parent_of_one (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 28, 11 at 15:00

In a long scheme of things it might not be important yet it is something I want to fix.

YSD uses our hamper in a master bathroom. Now I'd rather she not, there are very specific reasons for it. If anyone wants to know, I'll tell.

OSD never uses our hamper and in fact I never saw any of her laundry, YSD is a different story.

I don't feel like telling her directly, somehow it might sound offensive, there are already too many changes and rules that are different from what they get used to, i don't feel like directly pushing yet another one...

Anyways I have laundry baskets and placed one in a guest bedroom in the past, she only used it to carry clean laundry back to her room but not for dirty laundry. So it hasn't been working.

Now for this visit I bought a collapsible hamper and am going to place in a guest room, possibly saying nothing or making a general comment to her that i bought her a hamper. But every time I buy her like body products or whatever else she makes a joke that i do it so she won't take mine. Sure that's one of the reasons. LOL So she might either ignore it like she ignored basket or think i am pushing her out of the master bathroom.

Anyways those of you with adult kids, do they use your hamper, do they have their own baskets/hampers? Generally how do you address it and how do you think i should address it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Laundry anyone?

Put your hamper in your closet when she visits. Put the "guest hamper" in your master bathroom. Problem solved.

o

oh, ...I never thought about that! But you know our hamper is a decorative type matching the whole decor of the bathroom, I am very particular about decor. I am not going to take it out of the bathroom. The one I bought is simple collapsible kind, it is not ugly but not decorative kind. Plus SO will complain why is our nice hamper taken out, he won't get it.

o

put the plain hamper in your closet & use it when YSD is there?

I do think you're wise not to make an issue of it.

o

She is doing it so you will wash her clothes. What do you do with her clothes?

o

Exactly Sylvia. Put the plain one in your closet and use it instead.

How old is she again?

"...here are already too many changes and rules that are different from what they get used to..."

With guests and family you have two choices:

1. Let them know what's expected
2. Let them do as they like and work around it

o

"She is doing it so you will wash her clothes. What do you do with her clothes?"

LOL, no I don't think that's her reasoning, she does not think much about stuff. Yes I often end up washing it because she puts wet stuff in there and it just cannot stay there and get moldy...Plus she uses 2 towels a day and we don't have that many towels. But she often washes everything in a hamper as well, which sounds nice right? But that is my primary issue. Every time that happens she ruins something of mine and SO's. Like puts black blouse with white towels and dries on high. LOL I cannot stand people touching my laundry, I don't mind washing theirs. In the past I placed my dirty clothes in my closet so she cannot get to it, still her stuff mixes up with SO's.

She is in her 20s. Exactly silvers what I've been doing sometimes working aorund it or sometimes telling directly depends on the issue, for example using coasters on my nice furniture she is directly told she MUST do (complies if she remembers), taking or using personal stuff without permission she was told NOT TO (complied), keep the house decent (told by SO)-on the most part complies, somehow I don't want to start with laundry business.

i like everyone's ideas! I think I'll do what people suggested! Keep my dirty laundry in my closet and let her use a nice hamper one in the bathroom. Yeah here would come issue with her putting wet stuff in the hamper and not washing it, it would just stay there....Oh boy

She is a sweet lady, I LOVE when she visits, we get along famously, don't get me wrong, but sure she is airhead (so is my DD). I do want to have balance between accommodating her and having boundaries. I don't want them not wanting to stay at their dads because SM is nagging about everything. ha

thanks everyone

o
Mold

So put a trash bag in there in case it molds...

o

oh good idea, thanks, it did get mold one year when she was here but we were gone on vacation, it grew mold on a bottom of it due to wet towels there. it has lining but it is fabric one

o

Put a hamper in the bathroom or laundry room. I have my hampers in my walking closet would not want anyone in there for any reason. It's my space.

o

hamper is in the bathroom, and she's been using it. it is not the issue though. and my closet is too small for hampers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here