SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen10125

Stepdaughter is Pregnant - Need Advice

Karen10125
10 years ago

My 28 year old married stepdaughter is expecting in about a month. The relationship between her, her father and me has not been very good for the past 5 years or so. Nevertheless, we helped pay for her wedding 2 years ago, threw a party for her, and numerous other things to help celebrate her engagement and wedding. Right after the wedding, she started treating us bad again. I believe she just uses us. She lives in another state and when she comes to town for a week or so, my husband is lucky if she gives im 15 min. of her time. Sometimes it's actually an hour, but that because he's buying her dinner. Anyway, now she's pregnant and during one of her visits she mentioned him flying out to see her and the baby once she delivers, but only after her mother and everyone else leaves. He was going to do that and I was ok with that, in spite of the fact that I wasn't invited. He asked her to reach out to me since I had done that numerous times to her, but she said having a relationship with me is not important to her. I was ok with that too, I mean if that's how she feels, so be it. I know I gave it my best shot. Now the time is nearing for the baby to come and he decided to tell her that if she's not going to be on friendly terms with me, he's not flying out to see her and the baby. This was his idea, not mine. I see where he's being loyal to me, but I also feel bad for him. Should I encourage him to go visit or just leave it alone? Also I was not invited to her baby shower, which I had already purchased a gift for, and that really made him angry at her. I don't get angry anymore though, I try to make the best out of a bad situation. I returned the gift and bought myself a new bathing suit. I refuse to get my feelings hurt anymore. But still, I need advice on how to handle this with my husband. This is still his daughter.

Comments (9)