SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gma58

advise on adult stepfamilies

gma58
14 years ago

I am looking for some advise with stepfamilies. I am getting married soon to a man with a daughter,age 30, she is his only child, she has no children. She is not happy about our marrage. He has been divorced from his Xwife, her mother for 25 yrs. His Xwife is remarried & has been for 15 yrs, lives in another state & has had 2 more kids of her own plus 2 stepkids. I have 3 adult kids, ages 29-35, My kids father died over 20 yrs ago. I remarried & have been divorced for over 5 yrs. My kids are married & live in other states & have families of their own. They are all happy about the additions to the family.

We went to high school together but I moved away from the area right after gaduation & went back for a reunion where we ran into each other & have been dating for over 2 yrs.

His daughter is upset about her dad becoming too busy for her & forgetting about her once we get married, yet she lives next door. They own the homes & he has lived there for 22 yrs. I moved into his home, 9 months ago, I travel in my work & gone most of the week.

Please give me some advise on what to do or say? How can I let her know I am not taking her dad away, she is just gaining more family.

By the way, her dad is 1 of 9 kids & has a really really large family already, so what is a few more people?

Comments (32)