SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elfqueen1473

Grandma or grandma?

Elfqueen1473
10 years ago

Please send some advise!!! My stepdaughter is having a baby and has expressed a wish that the child (don't know what sex yet) calls me "Grandma". Totally understandable, I have been with her dad for 11 years since she was 10, and due to a "falling out" with her mom, she lived with us for most of her teen years. She lives in the same city as us, and we see her and her SO at least 2-3 times a week. Her mom lives an hour away and their relationship is very spotty. The problem is, her mom hates the idea of the child calling me "grandma". She has called my SD in tears and put pressure on her (which I don't believe is good for her in her state!). My SD is staying firm, asked me for help with the baby, even asked for me to be her coach in the delivery room! Another issue for her mom. On one hand my petty side is thinking it's great. Maybe now her mom will try to be a better parent and realize that she needs to change her attitude with her children (she also has a younger child who has chosen to live with us instead). On the other hand, I just want to make sure that this child feels loved and not confused. I'm afraid she is going to tell him/her that I am not the grandma all the time and upset the child!! Should I stay strong and accept the "grandma"? I know the mom would not accept a substitute name like nana or grammy. I want to be the baby's grandma and not be a person he or she calls by their first name, since I will be the grandma in their life most of the time!! Am I being petty?should I give in and refuse to let mother "win"? Any advise??

Comments (14)