SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

I'm kind of upset

lovehadley
13 years ago

I need to vent.

Recently, my DH sold a car to a guy who had lost everything to a failed business and foreclosure. My Dh got him a fab deal on a used car, and the man was really grateful. He offered---FOR FREE---a boys' bedroom set for SS that's only two years old.

Bunkbed, dresser, and desk. It's super nice--solid wood, and just really great. SS will be psyched.

The problem is, my DD is going to be really jealous and I, quite frankly, do not blame her. Unfortunately, we are just NOT in a position to buy her anything like that right now--it's been a tight summer, car sales are down, and I've been unable to do much work b/c of having the kids home. Living separately for two months was a financial strain, as well.

UGH.

DH is planning on bringing home the new bedroom set this weekend and I'm finding myself feeling bitter and upset. Upset that I can't give the same to DD.

I mean, in my head, I know if the situation had been reversed---if it had been a girl's bedroom set offered to DH, he totally would have taken it, as well. But I like to think--and I DO think this is the case--I would have waited to bring it out until we could find something for SS, as well, even if that meant it was a few months later.

I suggested to DH storing the furniture in our garage or basement until we can find something *relatively equvialent* for DD. I'm NOT talking buying something new in stores---I am a total craigslist/ebay/bargain hunter. I've been watching on craigslist for a couple weeks now, but haven't been able to find anything decent for under $800 and that is just NOT in our budget at the moment, or any time in the next few months. I'm also not dead set on getting a whole new set for her---at this point, I'd settle for a nice new bed, if that's all we could afford.

The thing is--both kids' beds they've had since they transitioned out of cribs, and DD's dresser is one I had when I was a baby.

It's hard b/c our kids are the same age--both 8--so it's not like we can say "oh, well SS is older and this is a special privilege" or anything of the sort. We always try to keep big things equal and this to me seems like a "big" thing.

I guess I will just be honest with DD and say that this stuff for SS was free and it's great for him, kind of sucks for her, but oh well, that's life?

Am I crazy for feeling upset about it, though?

Comments (14)