SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
speshulgirl123

New here .... need a little bit of advice.

speshulgirl123
10 years ago

Hi all,

I'm new to these forums, however I have spent a great deal of time reading over your posts the last few days.

My FI and I (both in our early 40's) have been together for about 3.5 years. I have a 20 year old and he has an 8 year old. His child is a very, very sweet child. Well behaved, polite, etc.

My issue is for the last 3,5 years, I've had to deal with their nightly bedtime ritual. Come rain or shine, at 8:30pm all 3 of them (child, FI and ex-wife) get on the phone and say goodnight together. First it's a prayer, then it's a thing they made up where the child says goodnight to all his family members (by naming them one by one), then it's a song or two. If the son is with FI, they call the mom and if the son is with the mom, they call my FI. This happens every night like clockwork.

I don't know why it bothers me, but it does. It seemed fine when we first started dating because the child was only 5, but he's about to turn 9 and I'm not thrilled that they still do this "goodnight ritual" all together as a little family unit. Even if FI and I are out to dinner, she'l still call (and he'll answer) and they will do an abbreviated version. I can rarely escape this. Even when we are in a different time zone, it still happens at 8:30pm in the child's time zone.

I was venting to my sister about it and she kind of got me all fired up about it saying it's fine if they each want to say goodnight to their kid, but she finds it strange that they still do the bedtime routine "together.

I have other issues with my situation, but for now, this one is at the forefront.

What are you thoughts? At what point should they start separating their goodnights? Is it strange that they still do it all together as a "family"?

Thank you for listenting.

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County