SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lovehadley

Thoughts?

lovehadley
13 years ago

I had an interesting encounter with some moms on my DD's swim team.

I was helping sort ribbons the other morning during practice with three other moms.

It is a very Catholic team---it's a small independant pool, and many of the kids go to Catholic schools in the area. I am not Catholic nor does my DD attend a parochial school. But anyway, perhaps it is some of their faith/beliefs that perpetuated this.

There is a little girl on the team---well, she is not really little, she is 12 yrs old. Her grandparents own the pool. This girl is an Olympic-bound swimmer. She holds records in our STATE set when she was 6 yrs old that have yet to be broken; she trains in Colorado Springs 2 weekends a month, she is phenomenal.

Her parents are divorced and from what I learned from these moms, they have been divorced since she was 2 or 3.

Both are remarried.

They also seem to get along FABULOUSLY. They are at every meet, and her dad (son of grandparents, the ones who own the pool) helps run the meet every week.

I always see her mom and dad chatting, laughing together, and hanging out with their daughter together. I've watched this girl hang on her dad, joke around with him, throw playful punches with him and her friends---they just seem like they have a good relationship, and she clearly loves him. According to these moms, the girl spends equal time with both parents.

Well--anyway---one of the moms mentioned that DAD has two kids with his second wife. And the other two moms fell all over themsleves.

"Oh how sad! How awful for her. Poor little girl."

I was dumbfounded. WHY is that sad?

I mean, sure, it's sad that HER parents are no longer married, but this girl certainly seems to have two loving, involved, supportive parents. I've watched her at meets for the last three years and she seems happy, close to her dad, close to her mom, and well-adjusted.

It was so odd to me that these moms thought it *sad* that she has two siblings (half) from her dad and his new wife.

Thoughts?

I wonder if their attitude would have been different if it were MOM that had more children. Somehow I think that would have been acceptable to them.

It's like there is this double standard/negative connotation with dads remarrying, having second families, but not moms.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996