SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
merry11

Don't like the way BF treats his kids

merry11
12 years ago

Hi,

New here. Hoping I can get some advice from those with experience. I have been with my BF for 14 months now. I have met his kids a while ago (DD17,DS13,DD12) and we get along great. He is 36, I am 35 (divorced,no kids). He is a great guy, does everything for his kids, is a bit strict with them (for the good reasons, their mothers let them get away with everything) and in general they are darn good kids.

My issue is with his lack of patience. I can definitely see how 3 teenagers would try anyone's patience ;) BUT he overreacts about pointless things (like the kids being goofy) and tells them to shut up when they are just laughing or joking around or he doesnt like DD12's laugh and to stop laughing like that etc. Again hes a good father in the overall sense, but verbally I am finding he can be mean and yells at them unnecessarily (IMO of course) I have 5 nieces and 3 nephews so I love kids and watch them alot, but I would never tell a 12 year old I dont like her laugh and to stop!

So my question is, would I be wrong in speaking to him about this? I have never said a word about his discipline or anything pertaining to his kids, I know its not my place, but I just cant continue to bear to watch the kids faces when he yells at them for basically nothing. I am starting to lose respect for him the more I see him overreact and I would hate to walk away from a great relationship because of that.

One more thought about BF... his childhood was kinda lousy, mom died young, has an unemotional father and had to grow up fast having a kid when he was 18 in high school (among many other things). So his guidance as a kid was pretty much non existent and i give him credit for turning out to be a great guy on his own. What to do...

Comments (5)