SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashley1979_gw

Kids Spending Time Alone With Parents

ashley1979
12 years ago

I just want to throw this out there because I've been thinking about this a lot since yesterday.

Kids should be able to spend time alone with their parents separately, even in intact families.

I'll even go further than that and say that kids really benefit from spending time alone with their parents without the presence of siblings.

Each person is a unique individual and should be able to form their own separate relationships with each individual person in their family.

That is one thing my parents did right with my brother, sister and me. My dad would take me by myself to get ice cream. It was only an hour or so, but it helped build the very healthy we have today as adults. I didn't have as much alone-time with my mom as a child, but as a yound adult, we both got a job at the sakme place for about a year. We would ride together to and from work and take breaks together. I loved that time with her without my siblings always competing for her attention.

My neices, on the other hand, spend every moment of their lives together. Their father thinks it's unfair for the 12 year old to do anything the 8 year old can't. I bred this really dysfunctional competitive relationship between them that shouldn't have to exist. The older one should naturally be able to do things the younger one can't do yet. They fight for their parents' attention all day every day and try to outdo the other. It's really sad.

Anyway, just my 2-cents :-)

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz