SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momof5angels

momof5angels update...divorce and moving forward

momof5angels
14 years ago

I've been on this forum for years as a stepmother and biological mother...I post today as a single mom of 2 and an ex-stopmom...I don't know if anyone remembers me but I had been raising my stepchildren and biological almost completely on my own for almost 5 years...I spent much of that time afraid of the mom/dad games that had gone on for years...being placed in the middle...having a husband who did not parent any of the children in our home and who then revealed in April that he was having an affair and wanted a divorce...

I will say to you now that being a stepmother was likely the most difficult thing I have ever done...My marriage was never good...and I knew his children would not be in my life forever. Still, I loved them like they were my own...even though I often wanted to pull my hair out because of the drama surrounding the entire situation...I took care of them as if I had brought them in the world...For the last 2 years of my marriage I hung on for only 2 reasons...The children, both mine and his and secondly my home...Perhaps there was another reason...3) I didn't want to fail in yet another marriage. I realize today that I didn't fail. My marriage didn't even fail. My husband did...

May 6th was one of the most difficult days of my life. My soon to be ex-husband came to the home after leaving the children with me for a week and he took them with him to a hotel. My SD14 cried as they left...hugged me...and as he drove away with the 3 of them, I got a text on my cellphone...It was my stepdaughter...It said "I love you." I could still see them driving away in the distance. I texted back..."I love you, too. Please don't ever forget that." She sent back "Never have, never will." How ironic is it that that very cell phone had been the source of much drama over the months...and on that day it was used for a final goodbye.

It was my oldest son's 16th birthday...and my two biological sons and I just stood on the front porch in tears, hugging each other. The month of May was difficult. Although my husband and I were buying our home together I wasn't really given a choice as to whether to sell it or perhaps even keep it for myself. My husband insisted that I was to go...He was keeping the house. I found a home on June 1st...moved June 15th...Much drama persisted over this time...from my husband driving by with his mistress and waving at me to the two of them driving 200 miles to my hometown where I moved to in order to steal the van that he had let me take in order to blackmail me for a cheap drum set I had taken when I moved. The stories of what he has put me through are horrible...especially since I moved...

As for him, he does have the house but SD has decided that she doesn't want to live with him. She is moving in with her biological mother who is moving 900 miles away to her own hometown...The same old court battles that stressed me out for the length of the marriage have come back full force. My husband apparently won custody of the boys for the moment. They will come back to live with him in a few days. Last week I cried for 2 days at the thought of these children being separated by nearly 1000 miles...Especially for SS9...his big sister was his world. How could they live so far apart? But I have no say, of course...I never really did...I hear stories now of my SS12 cursing his mother...knocking her down...I hear stories of my SD14 getting nearly naked on the back porch of the mistresses back porch with 18 year old men...while Dad is in the bedroom with the girlfriend...And, of course, there is nothing I can do. The hardest thing has been walking through a store and not counting 5 heads to make sure everyone was with me...I did that for years...No more.

Unfortunately my story is fairly typical...Yes,my husband and I spent so many hours talking, arguing and trying to "fix things." I remember back on all of the sleepless nights I spent crying and trying to explain what I needed...It seems like such a waste today...What I hope is that my story can perhaps help someone else...

Do you love your husband? Your significant other? Do you love your stepchildren? Take my advice please...let the little things go...Don't waste precious time on things that won't matter in a month...

Have you fallen out of love? Can you not see yourself being able to be a positive role model to your stepchildren? Miserable? Feel like it's a constant fight? Never going to get better? Consider pulling the bandaid off as quickly possible. I knew years ago that there was no hope for my marriage...but I stayed...and for all of the wrong reasons...If it's over, let it be over...let it go.

As for my biological sons and I...we are content in our new home for now...We spend much more time together and life is getting better everyday...Although we are hurting and scared of all the changes we are happy...we laugh more, sing more and hug more. All will be well. Very soon...very very soon...

God bless you all...

Comments (26)