SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parent_of_one

Sperm Banks-opinion?

parent_of_one
12 years ago

I am just wondering what people think about anonymous sperm banks ...Not SF issue, just family in general.

We were just talking with DD about this so i wonder what other people think. UK prohibits anonymous sperm banks. Rationale is that children have rights to know both bioparents (even if they don't raise you, you have rights to know who they are). I see the point.

At the same time how many singles/couples would have hard time having a baby without sperm donor. There are loopholes of course like people travel to Denmark where anonymous sperm donation still exists, so the issue is not really solved if people just find other ways to obtain anonymous sperm.

Can't help but think of a situation in "Kids are all right", movie was rather bad and cliche but hypothetical situation is possible (kids grow up and locate their sperm donor). How important is knowing biological parent? For many adopted people it is not important, for some is. But with sperm donation it is not even adoption...It is even more complicated.

By the way anonymous sperm banks are still allowed in the US.

Comments (25)

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994