SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lady_q

Dinner with Bio-Mom

lady_q
10 years ago

OK. So here's the condensed version of the background of my "steplife". Bio-mom walked away from her responsibilities 13 years ago. I met and married my husband 11 years ago and, for all intents and purposes, I have been the "Mom" ever since. Bio-mom has not been in the picture much and for the most part wasn't particularly interested in her son until very recently. My stepson is graduating from high school and will be moving to another city to live with his bio-mom to attend college this fall. Two days from now, he will be having his commencement ceremony and his mom and her new husband will be travelling here for the ceremony. My husband and I have extended an invitation to them to join us for dinner after the ceremony to make it a special night for stepson. This will be at a restaurant.

All sounds good, right. Well, here's the problem. I despise this woman, and I have no doubt she feels the same way about me. My husband and I cut off communication with her 6 years ago when she started a campaign to make our lives miserable, mainly because her life was already a disaster, and she couldn't stand to see us happy (I won't bore you with the details). We have had almost no contact with her since, and have no regrets about that. I am prepared to break bread with her for my stepson's sake, but for the life of me I cannot think of one thing to say to her.
I would appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have to help me get through this night. I'm a very open and sociable person, and have no problem making small talk or approaching people at parties -- I'm no wallflower. No doubt, this will be an awkward evening, but I want to try my best to make it good for my stepson.

Any suggestions on the best approach to this? Anyone out there who have gone through something similar?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz