SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brass_tacks

What Does It Mean To Respect Yourself?

brass_tacks
17 years ago

I don't want to sterotype divorced people, because there are plenty divorced people out there that weren't dysfunctional individuals, and had plenty of self-respect, etc. But I believe there are some commonalities amongst many divorced people. I would like to mention one, and elaborate on the subject. I'm hoping that you all out there will share some examples with the rest of us. Maybe we could even have some fun with this.

So many people simply do not respect themselves. In fact, there are so many people that don't know what it means to respect themselves. It is true that if you want to respect other people (and everyone wants to receive respect), you have to know how to respect yourself first. When you show respect for yourself day in and day out, you are giving others an example, and permission to respect and approve of themselves too.

Respecting ourselves is linked to knowing ourselves. Respecting ourselves is also linked to communication. It's linked to what we do and how we do it. If you feel that doing a certain thing is a good thing to do, you'll feel good about yourself if you do those things that you consider good and right choices. Yet how many times did we think to ourselves that we didn't know ourselves. I remember a time when someone asked me what I liked to do, and I couldn't think of an answer. Do you remember how many times a friend would tell you to just be yourself? Yet, we didn't know what that meant--cause we didn't know what ourselves were like? It could even be called a kind of identity issue, right?

What kinds of things do you like to do; do you do them?

If someone asks you for a date, and you don't want to go out with the person, are you able to say I am not interested in going on a date with you? That's respecting yourself.

If you go out on a date and the person says or does something that you don't like, are you able to say, let's end this date right now?, and don't call me again? That's respecting yourself.

What kind of people do you like to be around; do you seek those kind of people out?

Do you like to know where things are when you go for them, and let everyone know that it's important to you?

Do you help your kids learn to do the things that are important to you, like picking up after themselves? That's respecting yourself.

If there is something that is very important to you, do you make sure that you are able to be involved with that?, and do you make sure that the person that you'll be investing your time with feels those same things are important?

Is anyone with me?

If you know you have to get up early in the morning, do you make sure you take care of what you have to do and get to bed early enough to feel good the next day? That's respecting yourself.

Earlier in the day, do you communicate that you'll be going to bed early and you want everyone to try and keep the noise down? That's respecting yourself.

When the wife decides she wants to talk--and won't let you alone, and you've told her you need to get to sleep--she isn't respecting you or herself. If you don't say or act in a way that will harm your relationship, you are respecting yourself.

When you have a deadline to get something done, do you forge ahead with your plan and not let yourself get sidetracked? That's respecting yourself.

If your kids are demanding your attention--are you able to tell them to talk to you later? That's respecting yourself.

When you have to loose some weight and exercise so that you won't get to be a diabetic--do you do that? That's respecting yourself.

When it's time to do your aerobics and kiddies are in the refrig. what do you do? Do you somehow figure out how you're going to get your exercises done? That's respecting yourself.

When someone wants something and it's not in the budget, are you able to get the message across in a way that others are able to keep their dignity in tact?, and you can see to it that you keep your budget in tact? That's respecting yourself.

When you don't know what the hell you are doing, and it's important that you do, are you able to ask for help? That's respecting yourself.

When you need some time to spend with someone special, are you able to put everything else out of your mind and concentrate on this important relationship? That's respecting yourself.

If you don't want to loan something out, do you tell someone, 'no'? That's respecting yourself.

If you don't want to cut your grass because you don't feel good, are you able to put it off? That's respecting yourself.

If you want to be alone, do you say so? That's respecting yourself.

If you don't want to spend time on the phone, do you say so? That's respecting yourself.

If you don't want to be alone, do you say so? That's respecting yourself.

If you aren't making enough money to pay the bills, do you do something about it?, and if you need some cooperation, do you ask for it? That's respecting yourself.

Let's have some fun with this...share some examples with us.

Fill in the blanks, "You respect yourself when _______."

Comments (5)