Return to the Stepfamily Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hey Ima (or others)? Cheese question?

Posted by ceph (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 19:39

Do I recall correctly you do a fair bit of Mexican/Hispanic cooking? Maybe you can help me...

I went to Mexico a few years ago (I through the middle - in through Juarez, down through Durango, Queretaro, Zacatecas, and down to Acapulco) and I loved the cheese. It was white and not too stringy when it melts. Do you know the kind I mean?

But there's nowhere to buy Mexican style cheese in my city. The closest I've found is Monterey Jack, but it's just not quite right. Can you suggest anything a little closer?
I love making Chiles Rellenos, but Monterey Jack isn't exactly right and I want suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hey Ima (or others)? Cheese question?

I use Monterey Jack in my chile rellenos. I'm putting a link to a web site that might help out though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican style cheeses guide

o

I'm thinking Manchego. The Wikipedia definition (from the Manchego article):
A similar cheese is popular in Mexico and in Spanish-speaking areas of the United States, where origin and method of production are not specifically regulated. Mexican Manchego is typically a semi-firm (not hard) cheese used for melting, similar to that of Oaxaca cheese (both are often used in quesadillas).[1]

o

Thanks, ladies!
I guess I'll stick with my Monterey Jack and I'll just look for a slightly creamier one.

We have this incredible international cheese shop, but it doesn't have any Mexican cheeses... :(
But they have a terrific Cranberry Wensleydale :)
Ohhh, and Grand Creme... drooooool.

o

Ooh... Triple creme Brie, Huntsman, Porter, Maytag Blue --
This is what I dream of for Christmas...

o

LOL, Sweeby!
Two years ago, DH filled my Christmas stocking with gourmet cheeses and fancy coffee beans.
I had like six kinds of cheese, all stinky! It was heaven.

o

Ceph, I wish I could send you some. We have around 15 kinds of Mexican cheese in our supermarkets.

I LOVE cheese!

o

Here's a good site to check out for Mexican Cheeses and their uses.

o

We've got good ones too!
Are there any ethnic stores in your area Ceph? I can't find Queso Fresco or Chihuahua at our local Kroger, but at Hispanic grocery stores I can.

o

Cojita cheese is a really yummy Mexican goat cheese that is crumbly. But I think you are talking about Queso Blanco. Very creamy!

My favorite cheese in the whole wide world (that I've tried) is Havarti. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! Now I'm going to have to go get some. LOL!

o

we bought some stinky cheeze in Paris this spring (forgot the name), and box cracked in a suitcase accidentally. We were on a train going to England and I opened my suitcase for something and oh my, ewww, I had to close it and run on the other side of the train pretending it is not my suitcase. It stank like dirty socks, feet and high school gym locker, all my clothes stank like that after the trip hahahah.

I love Havarti too by the way

o

I bought a nice chunk of garlic Harvarti today.
I'm going to make a crab melt tomorrow for my lunch... Mmmmmm.

o

Ooohthat sounds good! I'v got Ciabatta rolls plus most of a Dungeness crab and some Havarti in the fridge!

o

Well.....that does it! I'm going to Central Market today!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Stepfamily Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here