SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

Twilight... and what exactly is appropriate?

silversword
14 years ago

Short Story:

SD9 is reading Twilight (the second book) and is "in love" with the main character, wants to "marry him". ETC. Watches the movie at least once daily. Has the t-shirt. Wears mini-heeled shoes, lip gloss, wants a $300 backpack.

My DH and I encourage her when she's here to be a kid, enjoy being a kid. I'm pretty goofy, so I can usually crack her little shell a bit and get the kiddo to come out and play, but it's hard.

Am I just overprotective? My dd7 doesn't even know what HSMusical is because I want her to be a kid. She watches Little Bear, Noggin shows. When I was 9 I read Nancy Drew, Babysitter's Club, Narnia, etc. Do you mama's think Twilight series is too old for pre-teens? I have not read them (think they are beyond insipid) but from what I understand from flipping through them they get pretty sexual in the later books.

How can I influence a young woman (not a little girl anymore!) into healthy, good relationships instead of "do you like BMW?" and "how much does your XYZ cost" and "mom is broke but she just bought a new ________" and "all the kids in my school spend $200 on their jeans". It's all status. It's all commercialization. And it's all sexy.

Not that sex is bad. But I think it's in everything these days. Everything is sexualized and it makes me cringe to see her flopping around in her little (as my mother would say...) "come get me" shoes.

I admit, part of it is personal. I don't want people to think I'm the one dressing her. And she wants to be kid-like, I can tell. She gets out of it with us, becomes more friendly and less posh, etc.

Well, not really a short story... sorry. But any advice is welcome!

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH