SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lady_q

Invitation from BM

lady_q
11 years ago

First a little history. SS17 has lived with DH and I for 10 years full time. During that time, there has been a lot of friction between us and her, mostly based on the fact that she had no interest in SS17 when he was little and has only taken a serious interest in him in the last 2-3 years. It should be noted that she was diagnosed with Leukemia 5 years ago, and went into remission 2-3 years ago, about the same time she started taking an interest in SS17. She still doesn't spend a lot of time with him (she never did in the past, even when she was still married to my DH). She had her own life and she was determined to live it without the burden of a little boy with a learning disability. So all the responsibility fell on my DH and he took it on without question (as he should). We are happy that BM is finally showing some level of care and love for SS17; however, it was a long time coming and, over the years the resentment has built and we have zero respect for the woman.

So, DH decided that this summer he wanted SS17 to go spend all summer with BM. I won't go into all the details, but DH needs a break from the responsibility, and the headaches of raising a teenager. Yes, yes, I know....it's his son, and it goes with the territory. However, the same could be said for BM...and he feels it's her turn now. Normally she would have him only for one week in July and one week in August.

DH did not ask her... he just told her that he was bringing SS17 to her house on the last day of school and that he didn't want him back until just before school starts. Big surprise to us, she doesn't argue...just says OK, no problem. We're happy there's no conflict and we can make plans to actually do something that WE enjoy this summer.

Here's the kicker. Today we get an email from her that says, and I quote "As you are dropping off SS17 to our place on June 23rd, Frank and I would be pleased to invite you for a simple and pleasant lunch before you continue on your trip."

The fact that she has just moved into what she calls her "dream home", is definitely a factor here. We're sure she just wants to show off -- there's also the fact that this dream home is situated in the boonies (out in the sticks), and she's a woman who lived in the city for many many years and loved that lifestyle...she now has zero social connections, so perhaps she's just lonely -- who knows.

What would you do? And how would you respond to the invitation, given our history?

Comments (7)